Absolutely unrelated to health and fitness, but...

Options
tdh302
tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
Hi all-

I enjoy the MFP boards and thought I would start here as it would provide a wide variety of people from all over the country. We are entertaining the idea of moving to a warmer climate as my husband's company was recently bought out and we have no certainty that his department/position will be kept on. I am completing my 4th doctoral year and will no longer be required to be on campus after this summer. We live in an area where we could rent our home out within a reasonable amount of time due to the location- we don't think selling is an option right now and with rent to cover our mortgage (property manager to handle this), a move would be possible.
We have some ideas of where we might like to go, but I don't know where to start to get opinions and ideas. We are not interested in NC, SC, GA- all wonderful states, but not where we would like to reside for various reasons. We are interested in Texas and, although we are not crazy about the parts of Florida we have seen...we would still entertain the idea since our experience there is limited.
If you live in an area with mild winters, or no winter to speak of, let me know your likes, dislikes, how your hometown economy seems to be doing (all are not great and things vary- I know), how long you have lived there and what your advice would be to anyone considering a move to your area. Thank you in advance for your opinions :)