Stir Fry help, please!

Options
Cmshi
Cmshi Posts: 4
We are new to myfitnesspal and are really commited. Tonight, dinner is stir fry. I have the lean meat, fresh green beans, broccoli and onions but no clue what kind of sauce to make. What we are used to using is very high sodium and high sugar/carb content. Any ideas??

Replies

• PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    When we make this we just make it kind of like Fajitas !

All I do is put about 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan. ( I like to use an iron skillet!) Get the oil really hot!

Make sure the meat is around room temperature. (cold meat tends to be tough when heated quickly!)

Cut meat in thin strips or chunks which ever you prefer... Put in a large ziplock bag and pour in about a 1/8 cup low sodium worsterschire sauce ( I never spell that correctly so sorry!)

Let it soak up the sauce.

Add to the hot oil, and brown slightly

then add veggies, and stir, and steam to texture you prefer! Voila! I love this! I like my veggies Al Dente!

I add onions, bell peppers (red, green, yellow), broccoli, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and sometimes squash and zucchini!

Serve with chips and salsa

I wanted to come back and say that I do this with any meat including Chicken, Steak and Shrimp. My fave is shrimp. For that recipe I use the frozen pre-cooked only b/c it's much quicker than fresh shrimp as they are already cleaned, I just break the tails off when they are still frozen!
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try looking at allrecipes.com to see if they have any good ones there.
  • Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Options
    Reduced Sodium soy sauce isnt horrible and you could put some Pineapple Chunks or Mandarin Oranges in to "sauce it up" and give you the sweet taste that you are probably getting from the jar sauce.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    try a low sodium soy sauce its yummy and some papa dash
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    We are new to myfitnesspal and are really commited. Tonight, dinner is stir fry. I have the lean meat, fresh green beans, broccoli and onions but no clue what kind of sauce to make. What we are used to using is very high sodium and high sugar/carb content. Any ideas??

I usually just use about a 1/2 cup of cold low sodium chicken or beef broth (you can use bouillon) to which I add some low sodium soy sauce (Tbsp or so), minced garlic, tiny amount of powdered ginger and hot pepper flakes, and stir in a heaping Tbsp. of cornstarch. Then add this in after all vegs are just barely cooked to your liking, stirring and cooking another couple minutes until thickened. You could vary this by adding some Splenda if you like it sweet, along with some sherry, or sesame seeds and a few drops of sesame oil. The variations are endless.

Or, maybe it would work to wean your family off the commercial high sugar and sodium sauce, by just diluting it by 1/3 or 1/2 with the above broth/cornstarch mixture to start with. Soon you won't miss it. Good luck!
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce w/3 Tbsp of pineapple juice, whisk in 1 tsp of corn starch. Pour over HOT stirfry and cook until slightly thickened. Make and add more mixture until it is saucy enough for you.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I did find some reduced sodium stir-fry sauces. They are all high in soduim unless you make your own.
    Just remember, sodium will not make you gain weight.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    i have this same dilemma. all of the marinades are so high in sodium...my hubby tried to soak the chicken in a vinegar/water/ginger mixture, but it didn't pick up the flavor very well and it was a little bland... i thought about trying some citrus juices next time. i don't know...hopefully someone has a good idea! :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I never use any sauce, just water in the veggies to ensure they don't stick while sautéing. The taste of the vegetables, chicken and brown rice are excellent by themselves, I have no need to cover them in sodium-filled soy sauce (which is most common and even low-sodium is still really high)
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like a peanut sauce with mine. Here's my recipe, modify it how you like. Yes, it's fairly high in sodium, but my advice is to just add a tablespoon to each individual dish and adjust your "servings" from there.

My recipe is for 5 servings:

4 tbsp organic peanut butter
    2 tbsp low sodium soya sauce
    2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    2 tbsp honey
    1 tsp sesame oil
    The juice of 1 lemon or 1 lime (whatever you have)
    Tobasco sauce to taste

Whisk the ingredients together and add to your stirfry accordingly.

If you were to make 5 servings, with my ingredients it works out to:

132 cal
    7g fat
    438mg sodium
    4g protein
    1g fibre

Again, I realize it's quite high in sodium, so feel free to play around with it. For me, this works wonderfully!
  • Cmshi
    Cmshi Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks to each of you that replied! This is the first time I have posted and you all have offered great advice and tips. this is great!!:smile:
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    I use garlic-infused olive oil (a very tiny amount) and a dash of Louisana brand Chinese red pepper. Sometimes I add minced garlic. It's awesome!!