Graveyard Shift? Wanting your input....

Options
Ok, so my schedule is relatively "normal" on Tues,Wed and Thurs. Friday and Saturday, I work graveyard shift (11p-7a). On Sunday, I work 11p-7a....get off Monday morning run home, sleep and I'm back working 3p-11p. I do that same shift on Tuesday as well.

So, I've been bringing meals with me and eating overnight....when I come home, I don't eat and go to bed.

On Mondays, wanting to get as much sleep as possible, I generally pack two meals and eat one right when I get to work and then another at about 7ish.

I was just wondering how others on graveyards deal with eating.....do you just pack light snacks or full meals? Just looking for some input?

Thanks!!

Replies

• raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my schedule is relatively "normal" on Tues,Wed and Thurs. Friday and Saturday, I work graveyard shift (11p-7a). On Sunday, I work 11p-7a....get off Monday morning run home, sleep and I'm back working 3p-11p. I do that same shift on Tuesday as well.

So, I've been bringing meals with me and eating overnight....when I come home, I don't eat and go to bed.

On Mondays, wanting to get as much sleep as possible, I generally pack two meals and eat one right when I get to work and then another at about 7ish.

I was just wondering how others on graveyards deal with eating.....do you just pack light snacks or full meals? Just looking for some input?

Thanks!!

Hubby works 6pm tp 6am. He takes soup,a sandwich and some fresh fruit.

:flowerforyou: Please, please make sure you are getting your vitamin D. It is a real issue for night workers. I make Pops take a supplement in the winter when he can't get at least 30mins of sun a day.
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....NEVER even thought of the vitamin D deficiency. Very good idea!
  • raindancer
    Options
    It is linked to several cancers. They had a study out a few years back about how many nurses from the night shift had developed breast cancer.
  • raindancer
    Options
    I checked your profile and the longhaul trucking is exactly how I gained the 120lbs I'm struggling to lose. Pops and I drive team for 6 1/2 years before he got very sick and I got to where I nearly couldn't walk.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been working a day/ night rotation for almost 10 years now. (One week days then one week nights). On my first night shift (Monday) I sleep from 5pm- 9:30pm so I miss dinner. I usually bring a soup, a salad, raw veggies to nibble on, and a fruit and a yogurt. When I get home I need a little something to eat- usually a bowl of cereal then off to bed. When I wake I usually make dinner for my family and eat with them. To work I usually pack the same thing every day.
    Take vitamin D. And make sure you get enough sleep, that is really important.
    I also customized MFP dialry to reflect a 24 hour eating plan- 06:00- 10:00; 10:00- 2:00pm; 2:00- 6:00pm; 6:00pm- 10:00pm; 10:00- 02:00 and 02:00- 06:00.
    Hope this helps.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I work 11p to 7a as well. I wake up around 3, have breakfast. I exercise for an hour, then have a snack around 7. Then I cook lunch and have it around 9:30. At work I have a snack around midnight and dinner around 3. Bed at 8am.

You can look at my diary to see what I am eating. I always bring my foods to work with me, one smaller snack and a larger meal. The biggest meal of the day, not necessarily the most calories but the biggest on my plate, is lunch.

I also drink lots of water, and I have no less than 32 ounces of water while at work.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work 11pm - 7am 5 days a week. I pack a meal and spread it out for the whole shift. I don't have a set time to eat. I also go walk for an hr. every work night. luckily for me and my job, I am able to get away from my work space to do so.