Road Cyclists

Options
Any road cyclists out there?

My family takes part in a 360 mile ride against ALS, which I've never participated in and now I am considering it, though I'm scared... :noway:

I would only be signing up for the 1st day (100 miles) but I have not been on a bike since I was in Jr High and don't even know where to start!

Replies

• jchc
    jchc Posts: 3
    Options
    Yo!

I am a diehard roadie. Check out my website... www.TheRoadieScholar.com.

What do you need? Advice on getting the wheels turning? I'd be glad to help!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    kaye, 100 miles for a novice rider is tough! I've been riding several thousand miles per year and I need to be in great shape both mentally and physically to do 100 miles in one day. What you really need to do is make sure that you are capable of doing 100 miles. You'll need to begin training your body for this task. Do you have a decent road bike that is in good condition? If you do it with just any old bike, you will have an extremely difficult time doing this. I'm not trying to scare you...I'm just pointing out the reality of this difficult task. Best of luck to you!
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    oh my gosh! my friend does a very similar if not same ride! is it from boston to NY?? His father passed away from ALS and the whole ride is just amazing and very meaningful to him. i would love to do one of those some time in my life! BEST of luck to you if you do it!!!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    kaye, 100 miles for a novice rider is tough! I've been riding several thousand miles per year and I need to be in great shape both mentally and physically to do 100 miles in one day. What you really need to do is make sure that you are capable of doing 100 miles. You'll need to begin training your body for this task. Do you have a decent road bike that is in good condition? If you do it with just any old bike, you will have an extremely difficult time doing this. I'm not trying to scare you...I'm just pointing out the reality of this difficult task. Best of luck to you!

I know it is a VERY hard feat, that is why I am concerned about wanting to do it. My brother did it a few years ago (and has done it every year since) without training, but he was an avid athlete when he was younger. I do not have a bike or idea of where to get one or what size.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    jchc seems like the perfect person to ask. I checked out his website, very good and quite inspiring! I'm sure you will be able to work this out. Again best of luck to you.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Options
    oh my gosh! my friend does a very similar if not same ride! is it from boston to NY?? His father passed away from ALS and the whole ride is just amazing and very meaningful to him. i would love to do one of those some time in my life! BEST of luck to you if you do it!!!

YES!!! It is the Tri State Trek! My father passed away from ALS in in 2008 and the first day of the ride has been named after him. He completed the Trek when he had already been diagnosed for 1 year on a Recumbent bike... so I feel like I should be able to do it as well.
  • mwatson23
    Options
    I'm a novice rider and did my first century ride last spring. I also hadn't been on a bike in years before deciding to do that! If you start your training now and increase a bit each week I think you could do it for sure! I did my ride around Lake Tahoe with Team in Training (raising funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada). Does the ride you are doing have some sort of support training program you can utilize?
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Options
    BTW I have NO IDEA why I wrote 360 miles for the total when its only 270 (only :noway: ) I've been volunteering for this ride for 4 years, who knows where my head was at! :ohwell:
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Sounds like a great goal! I'm sure you can do it but like others said, you should certainly train hard for it. I got more into biking last year and go do 30-40 mile rides regularly now (well, not RIGHT now with Michigan weather). I have also thought of trying to do a century this coming year. Let us know if you find more good training resources or tips!
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options

YES!!! It is the Tri State Trek! My father passed away from ALS in in 2008 and the first day of the ride has been named after him. He completed the Trek when he had already been diagnosed for 1 year on a Recumbent bike... so I feel like I should be able to do it as well.

wow...this just gave me goose bumps! I am really sorry to hear about your father...but I think its amazing that you are so involved and are looking to do the race! props to you sister!!