srsly, what the heck?

2»

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    You don't actually have to workout to lose weight; however, the experts claim that people who do workout tend to stay on the health kick longer than people that don't workout. Eating only 1200 calories a day gives you a sizable calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. On the other hand, you do need an hour and a half of physical activity a day. Exercise is a subset of physical activity. The quickest way to get in that physical activity is through exercising. The amount of calories you need to stay at your current weight is BMR X physical activity. Exercise helps out your heart, makes better use of your oxygen, tones up the body, and does a lot of other good stuff, but it won't cause you to lose weight. Weight-loss comes from the calorie deficit you create. If you're set to lose 2 pounds a week, this means your calorie deficit is around 1000 calories a day. If you exercise and don't eat those exercise calories, you're increasing that deficit even more, and that can be dangerous. So, if you refuse to eat those exercise calories and you're already dealing with a calorie deficit of a 1000, maybe you should think about not exercising for safety reasons. The last thing anybody wants is for you to pass out behind the wheel of your car from starvation.

Remember, to all the people angry about eating those exercise calories, losing the weight is only the beginning of the battle on keeping fit. When you've lost all the weight you've wanted to lose, you have to begin the maintenance mode; and if you're not practicing safe practices in the weight-loss mode, then I doubt you will be able to maintain your current weight. Eating those exercise calories should be treated like a reward and not a punishment for doing a good job. Eating right is 80 percent of your weight-loss battle and physical activity is 20 percent. Exercise, a subset of physical activity, ensures that you get the required amount of physical activity needed for the day.

Very well said, especially this part: "Eating those exercise calories should be treated like a reward and not a punishment for doing a good job."
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Okay, so I've decided to try to eat more & make SURE that my net calories are 1200+ after exercise for an entire week. Just to see the difference. Thanks guys.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Okay, so I've decided to try to eat more & make SURE that my net calories are 1200+ after exercise for an entire week. Just to see the difference. Thanks guys.

ESPECIALLY if you want to do the Insanity workouts.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member

You are making a good decision to eat those cals back, but I would strongly suggest that you do this for at least a month if you really want to see the true impact. It is almost a guarantee that you will see your weight increase in the first week before your body adjusts and you begin to lose again.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    You don't actually have to workout to lose weight; however, the experts claim that people who do workout tend to stay on the health kick longer than people that don't workout. Eating only 1200 calories a day gives you a sizable calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. On the other hand, you do need an hour and a half of physical activity a day. Exercise is a subset of physical activity. The quickest way to get in that physical activity is through exercising. The amount of calories you need to stay at your current weight is BMR X physical activity. Exercise helps out your heart, makes better use of your oxygen, tones up the body, and does a lot of other good stuff, but it won't cause you to lose weight. Weight-loss comes from the calorie deficit you create. If you're set to lose 2 pounds a week, this means your calorie deficit is around 1000 calories a day. If you exercise and don't eat those exercise calories, you're increasing that deficit even more, and that can be dangerous. So, if you refuse to eat those exercise calories and you're already dealing with a calorie deficit of a 1000, maybe you should think about not exercising for safety reasons. The last thing anybody wants is for you to pass out behind the wheel of your car from starvation.

Remember, to all the people angry about eating those exercise calories, losing the weight is only the beginning of the battle on keeping fit. When you've lost all the weight you've wanted to lose, you have to begin the maintenance mode; and if you're not practicing safe practices in the weight-loss mode, then I doubt you will be able to maintain your current weight. Eating those exercise calories should be treated like a reward and not a punishment for doing a good job. Eating right is 80 percent of your weight-loss battle and physical activity is 20 percent. Exercise, a subset of physical activity, ensures that you get the required amount of physical activity needed for the day.

Totally agree with the above post!
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member

i second that
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    there are people that lose weight and people that lose weight and look great in their clothes. exercise is important for the body, regardless of weight loss.

if you don't like to exercise, find an activity that you love doing and see if that gets you motivated. i ate back my calories, not all but some. it's fuel for the body...trust your body to work it out..it will reward you and the weight will come off for your efforts.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    there are people that lose weight and people that lose weight and look great in their clothes. exercise is important for the body, regardless of weight loss.

if you don't like to exercise, find an activity that you love doing and see if that gets you motivated. i ate back my calories, not all but some. it's fuel for the body...trust your body to work it out..it will reward you and the weight will come off for your efforts.

i love working out, that's not my problem. I love the burn from exercise. My problem is having to eat more because i've exercised. I have a hard enough time eating 1200 calories as it is. I can't imagine having to eat 500+ calories (i usually burn anywhere from 500-700) that's a whole extra meal a day. Where am i going to fit that in?
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member

i second that

and i third that. i look forward to pounding food after my Insanity workout...which i'm about to do shortly :D
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member

i love working out, that's not my problem. I love the burn from exercise. My problem is having to eat more because i've exercised. I have a hard enough time eating 1200 calories as it is. I can't imagine having to eat 500+ calories (i usually burn anywhere from 500-700) that's a whole extra meal a day. Where am i going to fit that in?

well that's the whole point of planning your day. if you workout in the afternoon and you know it's gonna be a big one, eat a big breakfast and/or lunch, so you're not overwhelmed at dinnertime, which I am sometimes, but i'm a nighttime snacker so i guess those extra calories are comforting.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member

Maybe an extra 100 calories per meal, it doesn't need to be an extra meal added necessarily.
  • I know what you mean.....thats why I dont really log my workouts on here. I will punch them in to see the cals burned, then not save it. Or if I do, I will ONLY eat my 1500 allotted calories. I refuse to eat back the calories I burnt off, it seems ridicuously redundant and pointless.

Really? What a shame. Physiology, like a lot of things is incredibly complex. If it was a straight shot answer, no one would get overweight in the first place. Right? So, given that it's an exact science, (and more importantly) different for everyone you might conclude that if what you are doing is working for you then that is great. At some point though, you might plateau and that could quite possibly be your body saying that your daily intake isn't quite substantial enough.

...but ridiculous and redundant? You must have done a lot of research. Carry on.

That was a little rude. What a wonderful way to make people feel alienated from a place that is supposed to be here to support. You could have easily stated your view on this, presented your facts, without trying to insult me in the process. This is supposed to be a site where people can learn things from one another, and be supported, and possibly, if they are human (which I believe most of us here are) make mistakes. If I am making a mistake in how I am approaching this weight loss journey, than I am sure I will come to realize it, and be appreciative of all the wonderful advice given here. What I will not appreciate is this feeling of being attacked because I stated my opinion, therefore making me extremely cautious of participating in message board posts anymore. Thanks for that.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    you could just eat the 1200 and lose weight like other posters have said

however if you do cardio and strength training you will increase your metabolism and you will look smaller at a higher weight if that makes sense? Weight is just a number. its exercise that makes you look in shape and feel good

edit: just read the rest of the thread... my reply seems to have jumped in there!

If your having trouble getting the exercise cals in (like i do too!) then you could try the suggestions people always tell me i.e. slightly increase portion size, snack on nuts and dried fruit, try and eat yogurts and fruit between meals, have protein shakes after workouts made with milk.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    I know what you mean.....thats why I dont really log my workouts on here. I will punch them in to see the cals burned, then not save it. Or if I do, I will ONLY eat my 1500 allotted calories. I refuse to eat back the calories I burnt off, it seems ridicuously redundant and pointless.

Really? What a shame. Physiology, like a lot of things is incredibly complex. If it was a straight shot answer, no one would get overweight in the first place. Right? So, given that it's an exact science, (and more importantly) different for everyone you might conclude that if what you are doing is working for you then that is great. At some point though, you might plateau and that could quite possibly be your body saying that your daily intake isn't quite substantial enough.

...but ridiculous and redundant? You must have done a lot of research. Carry on.
    I also agreed with the above quote AND I've done my research.
    There was no need for the tone.
    We are all here for the same reason, aren't we?
This discussion has been closed.