Dresses are made by the devil!

Options
jenbar
jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
So my family went to Syms to get the boys jackets for the wedding in July and a tuxedo shirt for my husband, so while there I decided to pull some dresses from the rack and try them on. Told my husband to stay close so I could get his opinion.
Well, pretty much went like this..
put one on (what the hell was I thinking) came right back off
"tried" to put another one on, came right back off (checked the tag, hmmmm)
now hubby is saying, "I'm waaaaaiting... what are you doing???" I say, I'm tryyyyying, but nothing is working?!
put another one, try to zip, took that one off
tried another, had my son zip the back, look in the mirror, and the boys say, that one is nice but "that" is hanging out (touching my arm pit fat), that one comes off.
looked at the last one and said forget it!

So, moral of the story is.
I'm discouraged. And know that I only have 7 weeks until this wedding, and I don't think I'm going to lose enough weight to make me happy. UNLESS I find the perfect dress that solves ALL the problem areas.
Most of my problems is in my back, around to the sides and my arms. There is nothing that is going to get rid of that but 40 pounds and I'm just so far away from that, that I'm getting a little discouraged.
I started in January and really thought I could have lost 50 pounds by July.
I know, I know, I have lost a lot so far, and I am very happy that I have. But, I've been at this weight before, I really want to be a weight that I haven't been since I don't know.... high school? And I still had problem areas then!
Ugh! I'm just so frustrated!
I'm just going to wear a tuxedo and match my husband!
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• jenbar
    Options
    So my family went to Syms to get the boys jackets for the wedding in July and a tuxedo shirt for my husband, so while there I decided to pull some dresses from the rack and try them on. Told my husband to stay close so I could get his opinion.
    Well, pretty much went like this..
    put one on (what the hell was I thinking) came right back off
    "tried" to put another one on, came right back off (checked the tag, hmmmm)
    now hubby is saying, "I'm waaaaaiting... what are you doing???" I say, I'm tryyyyying, but nothing is working?!
    put another one, try to zip, took that one off
    tried another, had my son zip the back, look in the mirror, and the boys say, that one is nice but "that" is hanging out (touching my arm pit fat), that one comes off.
    looked at the last one and said forget it!

So, moral of the story is.
    I'm discouraged. And know that I only have 7 weeks until this wedding, and I don't think I'm going to lose enough weight to make me happy. UNLESS I find the perfect dress that solves ALL the problem areas.
    Most of my problems is in my back, around to the sides and my arms. There is nothing that is going to get rid of that but 40 pounds and I'm just so far away from that, that I'm getting a little discouraged.
    I started in January and really thought I could have lost 50 pounds by July.
    I know, I know, I have lost a lot so far, and I am very happy that I have. But, I've been at this weight before, I really want to be a weight that I haven't been since I don't know.... high school? And I still had problem areas then!
    Ugh! I'm just so frustrated!
    I'm just going to wear a tuxedo and match my husband!
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    oh honey i know!! my back fat / arm pit fat is my most hated besides the alien baby in my lower tummy. I even did a search this morning on how to get back fat. And the real truth is you are right, the only way is just through aerobic exercise to loose the extra fat all around. you can do toning moves, but they wont really show until the fat on top of them is gone.

so im thinking about getting the zumba dvd and doing it on the days that i dont have class!! because im tired of the stupid bra "side hotdogs" (if you will)
    I also read that what bra you have and how it fits totally affects that. So i suggest finding a dress that has its own bra type thing built in, so that you dont have to wear one that cuts in. If youre like me, your back looks pretty slim until you put something tight and elastic around it. My favorite shirts to wear are the ones that are kinda halter top type built in support so you can eliminate straps all together.

Good luck!

I got sized for a bridesmaids dress before losing the 7 pounds i have so far, and it has taken me 2 months just to lose seven! I feel like i must be doing something wrong, but im following all the rules!! I was hoping that i would have dropped alot by september for the wedding, but at this rate i wont be as far as id like..and i dont know what to do shy of doing 1000 calories of exercise a day!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Oh yuck, my nightmare of trying on wedding dresses begins this summer... :noway: Not looking forward to that lol
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Jen, I think you look great and I'm sure that there's a great dress out there for you!

Could you wear a sleeveless or strapless dress with a shawl? A shawl is more feminine and looks less like you're hiding something than a jacket. You could even pin it to the dress with a beautiful brooch for an outfit almost as stunning as you are. :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hokay!!

First...

I was looking at your pictures again today and thought...WOW!!! She's done so great. So here is your kudos for all the work you have put into this thus far. So you are not at you perfect goal yet, but you have done so well so don't beat yourself up over someones wedding! You will find the perfect or good outfit for the big day, maybe look into separates, a nice skirt and top. Have you tried Kohl's??? This is my new very best favorite every size store. SHOUT OUT FOR KOHL'S!!! They have many sizes, shapes, and styles...You could be there all day.

And last but not least, so make a day of shopping for this outfit by yourself, not the fam. Although they are great, I can't go anywhere with my family and not feel pressed for time or energy.

Good luck with your shopping!

And babe, you look FANTABULOUS!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    OMG you are so not allowed to wear a tux LOL :laugh:
    You will find the perfect dress..trust me! As PL said, go alone or with a girlfriend. Whenever I go with my boys or hubby I feel pressured....BIG TIME!!!:grumble:
    You have done so good with your weight loss. I would be ecstatic! :happy:
    I have a wedding to go to in August and the fact I have only lost 5 lbs in 2 months + I'm not sure if I will reach my goal weight in time. It seems impossible to lose 10 to 15 lbs by then at the rate I'm going....ugggggg!:ohwell:
    Kel~
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    OMG you are so not allowed to wear a tux LOL :laugh:
    You will find the perfect dress..trust me! As PL said, go alone or with a girlfriend. Whenever I go with my boys or hubby I feel pressured....BIG TIME!!!:grumble:
    You have done so good with your weight loss. I would be ecstatic! :happy:
    I have a wedding to go to in August and the fact I have only lost 5 lbs in 2 months + I'm not sure if I will reach my goal weight in time. It seems impossible to lose 10 to 15 lbs by then at the rate I'm going....ugggggg!:ohwell:
    Kel~

this is exactly how i feel. it can often be frustrating when people all around you are dropping 2 and three pounds a week, and i go down one pound and stay there for a month!! i think that the harder i try sometimes, the slower my progress. How can that be? the wedding im going to is in september, and its a strapless tea length dress that is just gorgeous, and i want it to look that way! plus i have to wear heels, which i -NEVER- do... so thatll be fun, ill have to practice well before hand. at least i already know my calves will look good (thats the only part of my body that im satisfied with!)
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well, the Devil does wear Prada :p

You're in luck, I think, because cap type sleeve dresses are in and totally appropriate for a wedding. Even a cocktail one.
  • jenbar
    Options
    how funny are you! picking out my dress!
    that is actually something similar to what I've been looking at. But they say the cap sleeves cut your fat arms in such a way, that it will make them fatter looking. Which they do.
    Oh, I don't know.
    I'm going to make a day of it soon.
    I'll let you all know what I pick!
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Try some serious arm-workouts in the next couple of weeks -that could help some. Although sometimes workouts just won't help certain areas and only the scalpel will, oh!

Flutter-sleeves I think are coming back - not too 80s like but pretty. I saw it in People this week, hehe.

I think that cap-sleeves on a dress that are the wrong SIZE for you are not flattering at all. but that can help with the bra/underarm problem.

It's all in the cut of the dress. A $30 wal mart isn't going to get you very far...

Good luck, though. It'll come to ya!! Dressmakers have come a long way for the not 2 girls!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I believe the devil was behind high heels too, and waxing, and a few other things I can't think of yet. There is a dress out there for you (Calling Stacy --- yoo hoo)
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Jen, you look great! There is no way there is not a dress out there for you. I bet that if you had shown your future hubby a couple of those dresses his jaw would have dropped. I have a feeling you are being hard on yourself because you want to look perfect (understandably so, it is your wedding after all). Keep trying, you will find it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Oh, God, don't even tell me, I've got prom in two weeks and am STILL putting off dress shopping. ><
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    Oh ,,,, the dreaded back fat, arm pit fat, and I absolutely HATE my arms. I did the trying on a summer dress thing for a wedding afew weeks ago and left the change room crying. so I won't be doing that again for a while. I had been really beating myself up about things, but have just decided that I have to take it one day at a time. And hey, we're are doing wonderful things for ourselves and we'll get there.
    Good luck
    D
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    okay, so I get what you're frustrated about.. I remember trying on a dress not too long ago and saying.. what?? So, here is my suggestion:
    Bottom
    I second the get a bra that doesn't cut into your back so it looks well, good and don't look at the sizes sometimes going up a size will be more flattering, the number is only.. well a number and cheaper cuts will be larger than quality cuts so, it is all relative.

ALSO--- you have done remarkable in the time you have been working out so don't put yourself down, you look fabulous in your pic so.. my opinion, you are probably being overly critical of yourself. Stay Positive!! You will get there.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hokay!!

First...

I was looking at your pictures again today and thought...WOW!!! She's done so great. So here is your kudos for all the work you have put into this thus far. So you are not at you perfect goal yet, but you have done so well so don't beat yourself up over someones wedding! You will find the perfect or good outfit for the big day, maybe look into separates, a nice skirt and top. Have you tried Kohl's??? This is my new very best favorite every size store. SHOUT OUT FOR KOHL'S!!! They have many sizes, shapes, and styles...You could be there all day.

And last but not least, so make a day of shopping for this outfit by yourself, not the fam. Although they are great, I can't go anywhere with my family and not feel pressed for time or energy.

Good luck with your shopping!

And babe, you look FANTABULOUS!

I'm a fan of Kohls too! I always seem to have success there, no matter what I'm looking for. I got a dress for my MIL's wedding a couple months ago. The Vera Wang collection there and the Daisy Fuentes line are all nice! There is a line called Apt. 9 that has some really pretty, dressy pieces as well. I actually LOVE dresses! They make me feel so pretty and feminine, especially with some strappy heels! WWOOWEEE! heheeh (I'm such a dork!!)

Knock em dead girl!!
  • jenbar
    Options
    Thanks all. I actually found one at DressBarn. Completely forgot about that store. And came home with 3 that I'll keep for everyday and going out or rehearsal dinner and 1 for the wedding. It's brown with that slight bubble bottom? and a drop/cascade dip back? Sounds weird, but it's cute. I'll take a pic of it soon.
    Now it' shoe time. I spent 2 hours in DSW going up and down the aisles. Must have tried on 30 pairs of shoes. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I live in flip flops and Crocs, so my feet like to be WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!
    There are some shoes out there that were comfortable, but hubby said looked a little grandmaish! This isn't going to be easy!
    High Heel designer is the Dress Designers cousin!
    :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I actually found one at DressBarn. Completely forgot about that store. And came home with 3 that I'll keep for everyday and going out or rehearsal dinner and 1 for the wedding. It's brown with that slight bubble bottom? and a drop/cascade dip back? Sounds weird, but it's cute. I'll take a pic of it soon.
    Now it' shoe time. I spent 2 hours in DSW going up and down the aisles. Must have tried on 30 pairs of shoes. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I live in flip flops and Crocs, so my feet like to be WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!
    There are some shoes out there that were comfortable, but hubby said looked a little grandmaish! This isn't going to be easy!
    High Heel designer is the Dress Designers cousin!
    :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

:ohwell: i wear size 11/12 mens!
    it took me half an hour to actually find a pair of joggers my size the other day... let alone dressy shoes
    and i wont even bother with high heels, being 5"11-6" i dont need them that often lol
    congrats on the dresses! cant wait to see the pics!:drinker:
    good luck though, i know how hellish it can be... its called sisters shoe shopping:flowerforyou:
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    I live in flip flops and Crocs, so my feet like to be WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!

im in the same boat. I just got a link to the pair of shoes i am having to get for my best friend from HSs wedding (the one i had to order the size 16 brides maids dress for while my pants are a ten..same boat as you) they are heals, and i havnt worn any in years. i live in my crocs and birks and i am going to have to actually practice walking!

i cant wait to see pics of the dresses that you chose!! ive been having clothes shopping urges lately :)