Protein intake?

Options
Okay, so I have the calories that are laid out for me by MFP, but I keep going over my protein allotment. I was always told that one should have at least a 4oz serving of meat (which I usually only have for dinner) and this puts me quite a bit over my protein balance. Is this a problem? Or should i cut out protein shakes entirely unless I've skipped protein in another meal?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have the calories that are laid out for me by MFP, but I keep going over my protein allotment. I was always told that one should have at least a 4oz serving of meat (which I usually only have for dinner) and this puts me quite a bit over my protein balance. Is this a problem? Or should i cut out protein shakes entirely unless I've skipped protein in another meal?

Thanks in advance!
    Getting protein is important, especially if you are working out. MFP sets protein levels low.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Don't skip protein! You should have protein at every meal/snack. Yes, the limits on MFP are low. You can manually adjust the ratios that MFP sets. 40/30/30 is a good ratio to start with. (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Protein is a great thing to have. I get a bit too much fiber some days but rather over on things(except fat) than too under.
  • rclemens1221
    Options
    Your body needs protein to build muscle to burn fat.........If I'm training you, I would tell you to take near your body weight in protein per day........You WILL build "some" lean muscle but NOT to the point of looking bulky.......This will help you burn more fat.......Eat every three hours (Meals the size of your fist) eating protein during each........Good luck.....
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Check out the post in my signature!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Your body needs protein to build muscle to burn fat.........If I'm training you, I would tell you to take near your body weight in protein per day........You WILL build "some" lean muscle but NOT to the point of looking bulky.......This will help you burn more fat.......Eat every three hours (Meals the size of your fist) eating protein during each........Good luck.....

Thanks! This seems to be the question of the day, and you are the second to give me this answer... I'm over 200 pounds, so that is WAY higher than the MFP default!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Check out the post in my signature!

thanks, that was helpful.