Back Pain

sillygoose1977
sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have chronic upper back pain which is especially harsh this week. I'm wondering if I should skip my workout and rest my back even though it will still hurt tomorrow and the next day.... I don't really want to skip since I've been doing so well lately, but I'm also wondering if the strength workouts I've been doing are aggravating the pain. It is so frustrating to deal with this. I am going to get a ball to sit on at work and I'm looking into foam rollers. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have been dealing with this since my daughter was born, only 8 years. :frown: I know I am stubborn and won't go to the doctor for it because I pay for my own health plan and somthing like this could ruin my rates and coverage. I have just sucked it up for a very long time and it is starting to affect my life.

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    8 years is a really long time to live with something and I think it probably is time to suck it up and see a doctor. You may have a pinched nerve, you may have poor posture, you may be aggravating it with something you're doing... lots of possibilities but it is most likely not going to get better on it's own. Take care and good luck.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Have you tried wearing a sports bra? A lot of times upper back pain in women is due to not having enough support for the twins...

Depending on which motion aggravates you (flexion or extension), a foam roller should help. Also keeping your upper body moving, not guarding. If your gym has an arm bike, I would recommend doing that, both forwards and backwards...

I really would recommend going to your doctor though...what is the point in paying for insurance if you're not going to use it? (just my $.02)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Have you tried wearing a sports bra? A lot of times upper back pain in women is due to not having enough support for the twins...

Depending on which motion aggravates you (flexion or extension), a foam roller should help. Also keeping your upper body moving, not guarding. If your gym has an arm bike, I would recommend doing that, both forwards and backwards...

I really would recommend going to your doctor though...what is the point in paying for insurance if you're not going to use it? (just my $.02)

I don't have much for twins :blushing: but I always wear a sports bra to exercise. I have been working a lot on core and upper body strength.

On the insurance issue-Isn't it stupid that I do pay for it, but if I use it I just end up screwing myself.
  • Well a sports bra helps me...just kidding. When I started running recently my back was really bad...I had a friend come over and pop it for me and it was like instant relief.... Maybe a visit to a chiropractor? My issue was alignment though and I am not sure how simialr that is to yours. I am not a medical person so I do not know how severe that is, but like a previous post said...8 years is long enough!!
This discussion has been closed.