Whats the best Pasta?

Options
As far as calories go what brand has the less calories in spaghetti?

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Nearly all boxed pasta is 180-210 calories per 2 oz (dry) serving. For pasta it's more about the quality of the pasta than the calories. Try and avoid white pasta and get whole wheat/whole grain pasta - more bang for you buck in terms of fiber and being better for you overall.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    we've been eating the Barilla plus...its a multigrain pasta, still 210 calories or so per 2 oz. we've tried the wheat and i just cant get a taste for it yet and i wont give up pasta! lol
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There's a piece of specialty kitchen equipment called a spiralizer that allows you to make your own "pasta" out of raw veggies. I've done zucchini, carrot, and daikon radish "noodles" very successfully... and they taste GREAT with marinara sauce. Way fewer calories than traditional grain pasta, and fewer carbs.

7-23-09spiralizer.jpg
  • anovasjo
    Options
    yummm

1raw.jpg
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Barilla Plus as well. It's made from bean flour and is higher protein. Plus, I really like the taste.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    yummm

1raw.jpg

Gah that looks amazing! Is the spiralizer costly? Or reasonable? I'm trying to expand my veggie horizons a bit but that looks divine!
  • anovasjo
    Options
    Gah that looks amazing! Is the spiralizer costly? Or reasonable? I'm trying to expand my veggie horizons a bit but that looks divine!

Not all that pricey- I've seen them for $ 30 - $ 60 here in Toronto.
    A quick google search found this one: http://www.greenhealthcanada.com/Vegetable_Spiral_Slicer.html available for $ 49.
    I can vouch that they're pretty nifty if you're looking for a new way to eat pasta. :wink:
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    I suppose I could have just Googled as well. Found one for $30 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294348250&sr=8-1

Looks like I'll be gifting it to myself once I recover from holiday spending! Thanks!
  • ChinChinchilla
    Options
    I saw a new product a soy based noodle that is basically a tofu noodle on a morning program. Thay are called Shiritaki noodles (gluten fee soy noodles) but have yet to find them at the grocery store. May need to go to a larger asian grocery. Apparently they stink out of the package and need to be rinced many times with water to remove the odour. They said they are only 50 cals per package and it looked to be about a cup and a half per serving. I've also seen great ideas for mixing pasta with spagetti squash or zuccini ribbons to bulk up the produce and reduce the calorie content. I say just eat less per serving or just day dream about the taglatalle con fungi with gorgonzola i had last time I went for dinner in Little Italy : )
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I saw a new product a soy based noodle that is basically a tofu noodle on a morning program. Thay are called Shiritaki noodles (gluten fee soy noodles) but have yet to find them at the grocery store. May need to go to a larger asian grocery. Apparently they stink out of the package and need to be rinced many times with water to remove the odour. They said they are only 50 cals per package and it looked to be about a cup and a half per serving. I've also seen great ideas for mixing pasta with spagetti squash or zuccini ribbons to bulk up the produce and reduce the calorie content. I say just eat less per serving or just day dream about the taglatalle con fungi with gorgonzola i had last time I went for dinner in Little Italy : )

Shiritaki noodles do have a bit of a smell but it is Pasta Slim that is made out of tofu and is much, much better.