Lip biting and other bad habits

Options
i know its usually for five year olds...

but i have a terrible habit!! I bite the left side of my lip until i just cant stand it anymore.
One of my best friends also does this, so i know im not the only one.

weather it be smoking, eating, picking, or chewing, we all, as a culture, seem to have this obsessive oral fixation. Does anyone else here experience anything like this, that they generally try to "hide" about themselves in public (or dont try to hide)

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i know its usually for five year olds...

but i have a terrible habit!! I bite the left side of my lip until i just cant stand it anymore.
    One of my best friends also does this, so i know im not the only one.

weather it be smoking, eating, picking, or chewing, we all, as a culture, seem to have this obsessive oral fixation. Does anyone else here experience anything like this, that they generally try to "hide" about themselves in public (or dont try to hide)
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    odd revalation:laugh:
  • lcn42781
    lcn42781 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Gonna sound wierd, but I am a drummer as well and I have a habit of 'clicking my teeth' to the beat of the music I'm listening to. I have tried to consciously stop many times, but find myself doing it again just minutes later. It's a habit that sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing. Just something I started doing when I started playing drums I guess... I know how you feel...
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I bite my lip too!! I usually bite off the dry skin on my lips but catch myself doing when my lips are fine :smile:
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    I do the same thing! I do try to hide it, sometimes it can contort one's face into something far less than attractive.
    Oral fixation? YES! I used to smoke, and when I quit that, I started eating all the time. Now that I'm trying to quit that, I shudder to think what I will replace it with. I also have chewed gum every day for my ENTIRE LIFE.
    I'd like to reference Frued's psychosexual stages of development. Oral is the beginning stage of life (0-18 mos.) - where the infant's main source of pleasure and survival comes from the mouth. I believe that many infants who are deprived of things in this stage, or maybe even over-indugled in this stage, grow to be adults with oral fixations. Deprivation in infancy = never being able to get enough in adulthood. Indulgence in infancy = never being able to get enough in adulthood. Either way, it's all about what is lacking or what is in abundance.
    Sorry to ramble - that's just my inner analyst coming out! :tongue:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Add me to the lip biters club.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I've had that habit since I was a kid... have an aunt that always picked at her lips so I started doing the same thing... but got tired of having my hands slapped so I commenced to chewing :laugh: I find myself doing it especially when I'm concentrating on something.
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    I find myself doing it especially when I'm concentrating on something.

EXXXXXXXACTLY!
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it--

I'm a bottom lip-chewer.

In fact, I was doing it as I typed this!

:blushing:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Another lip-biter here. Side-effect of lip biting = chapstick, another oral addiction. :grumble:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yup, my parents used to tell me it would give me mouth cancer. I do it when I'm stressed.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    guilty!!! we all have our stims!! whatever works as long as its not harmful.....lol I also twirl my hair and shake my leg if I'm nervous...lol....its burning calories though right! lol

hugs!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it--

I'm a bottom lip-chewer.

In fact, I was doing it as I typed this!

:blushing:

Bottom lip chewer myself!! hahahaa
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Leg bouncer. Always gettin yelled at cause it drives everybody crazy. (probably why I do it.)
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My husband bites the skin on the tip of his thumb. The skin is peeling off. I slap his hand whenever I see it. Weird!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    My husband bites the skin on the tip of his thumb. The skin is peeling off. I slap his hand whenever I see it. Weird!

lol hes not the only one too! this is another bad habit i have developed over the years, and can even remember doing it in middle school. My mom, and now my hubby will even grab my thumb to keep me from picking on it!! its always a slight shade of pink
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I sway...I can't stand or sit still...I don't even realize I'm doing it...my Dad and my Boyfriend are the only ones that it irritates...they say I make them sea sick!
  • vldowd
    vldowd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it, one of my legs is always bouncing! :devil:
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    I'll admit it, one of my legs is always bouncing! :devil:

ROFL!

I do this when I'm happy.

Stupid too much energy lol.