Help ! Training for a 10km run

addman72
addman72 Posts: 220
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Ive decided to enter myself into a 10km run in July , thats over 6 months away.

The question is what should I do to train for it?

I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and I do cardio ( treadmill ) for an hour. On the treadmill I run for 1/2 hour then do intervall runs for the next 1/2hr , I end up doing close to 9km by the end of the hour. Ive been doing this for nearly 2 months and although my distances have improved Im still not anywhere near fit enough to complete 10km in less than an hour.
I average probably 54 km a week.
Also to the cardio I do some strength work for at least 1/2hr which is a mix of upper body and lower body exercises.

I have time on my side, I would like some tips on some training methods that others have used.
Hopefully I drop more than 10kg by then so it would be a bit easier than lugging around a 100kg frame.

Thanks

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    It sounds like you are doing great!! But maybe you need to mix it up, sounds like you are doing the same thing over and over. Maybe even overdoing it. Try looking at a training plan, and also DON'T worry about time, especially for your first 10K - who says you have to get under an hour?!? NO ONE.

This site has GREAT plans. It emphasizes cross training too which increases your fitness and allows your leg muscles REST. You have plenty of time :-D just a little tweaking!

Good luck! :)

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm
  • the couch to 5k program is fabulous! They have a couch to 10k as well. Google it. :bigsmile:
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    You might want to check out this website:

http://blog.c25kapp.com/

They have 2 different 10K training apps: Ease into 10K, for beginner/less experienced runners, and Bridge to 10K, for runners who are more experienced, generally at or above a 5K level.

I've found that adding in some cross training (strength training (which you're doing already), yoga, pilates, other cardio activities) is helping me become a better runner.

Best wishes!!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Are you constantly running the same intervals or are you changing it. If you are doing run/walks you should start to reduce walking times and increase running until you are running the whole thing.

Also I got in really good shape with plyometrics. The stuff kicks your booty, but man you start kicking butt running.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Sounds like you're pretty much there. I did my first 10k back in September, and I just started going out on the road on the weekends, building up my endurance to the point where I could run/walk the entire distance. Then I worked on getting my time down. I eventually got my time down from something like 90 minutes to 71 and change on race day.
  • cami78
    cami78 Posts: 42 Member
    Make sure you consider doing few outdoor sessions as well which includes hills so your body gets use to them. I think the time goes by quicker when you run outside. I will say the same don't worry about finishing in 1 hour, listen to your body and if you have to walk for few minutes then walk. Best of luck with your training!
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Thanks guys

I'll look up those sites.

I keep telling myself Ive got to hit the road as the treadmill is easier than running outdoors. So I'll make that a plan in the next few weeks.

With the interval training I mix it up a little. The speeds vary when I run, so i might walk for 2min at 6k/hr then run for 2min at 10k/hr

then I might do 1min intervals again walk at 6 but run at 12k/hr.

Im probably not getting puffed like i used to but I get leg tired. So I'll mix the training up so give the legs a rest.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    I agree molly. For your first comp. just worry about finishing. I have returned from a tendonopathy injury and have tried a few different ways to build my speed as well as endurance. My suggestion is to find a consistent speed on the T/M you can maintain for the entire distance and make sure that your breath tempo is breathe in for two footfalls and out for two footfalls. Also you should be able to sing along w/ the music or talk to someone next to you. Work toward running a consistent distance every day without pain. Walk out your cool down. I walk about 1/3 to 1/2 what I run depending on how tight my calves are when I stop running. Once a week do incline interval training and the next day do an easy run(flat and a little slower maybe 0.3mph slower). Once a week do flat interval training at set distances for the fast run and slow is until you catch your breath. Rinse and repeat ---meaning drink 3 oz. of water or Gatorade and do the next fast pace. Do this two or three days after the hill training. Once you have a steady mileage base-- say 200 miles--- start increasing your weekly mileage no more than 10% and the same for daily increase. Once a week increase your T/M speed 0.1mph for your regular running. When running if you find that your breathing is labored or faster than two in-two out, start swinging your arms bigger to lengthen your stride. After 50 steps you should feel your breathing get easier. Every quarter to half mile focus on your form--- back vertical, long stride, lifting your feet not dragging them. That should give you plenty to start with. Oh, yeah. Almost forgot. Keep track of the mileage on your running shoes and keep them only for running if you can. Most shoes are only good for about 350 miles. I didn't know this B4 wearing mine out and sustaining acchilles tendonopathy. Friend me if you like.
This discussion has been closed.