5K Run Help!?

Options
I ran my first 5K last year and I did just to say I did it. (Finished at 34:46) Loved it so much I am signing up again this year as well as a few other 5K's offered in my area. My goal is under 30 minutes this year. I love running but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to aide me along? I am 50 pounds overweight at this point (which is steadily decreasing). I have until May 14th to train. I've been out of the training loop for a while, so I have no idea where to even start. Any stregnth training exercises that will help? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K (C25K) got me from not running a few months ago to running my first 5K last month and my 2nd this Saturday. You can find info online.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I started running 5ks last year and cut off over 12 minutes from my first time! The thing that helped me the most was really just running....I ran at least 4 times a week---along with cross training exercises....elliptical, stairstepper, spinning,ect. you can also do strength exercises...because of course that does not hurt!! :) I also did a lot of cardio classes----so I guess staying active, working out and EATING HEALTHY are all great ways to improve your time! :D
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Head to Active.com. They have lots of great articles and tips on how to train for a faster time. I ran my first 5K last year too. I must say your time is already pretty impressive. Congrats and good luck!
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Head to Active.com. They have lots of great articles and tips on how to train for a faster time. I ran my first 5K last year too. I must say your time is already pretty impressive. Congrats and good luck!

I agree with Ana...that is already a good time for your first. My time on my first was about 45 minutes. I ran a 10K in October and am prepping to complete my first half marathon on 1/23. It sounds like you are already very active and doing cardio work...improvement mainly comes from time spent hitting the pavement.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options

I agree with Ana...that is already a good time for your first. My time on my first was about 45 minutes. I ran a 10K in October and am prepping to complete my first half marathon on 1/23. It sounds like you are already very active and doing cardio work...improvement mainly comes from time spent hitting the pavement.
    Correct tamcrit...miles, miles, miles. I will add ....hills, hills, hills. T/M training doing interval training will get your speed up as well as high knees, etc. On the treadmill I lengthen my stride on purpose and focus on my form so when I go out to run I can just enjoy it and I notice my times improve.
  • blueymo
    blueymo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump! I like the web links. Thanks!
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow... after re-reading my post, apparently I can't spell nor do I have proper grammer skills.

Moving right along... thank you for the help! Active.com has some great articles that will be beneficial. I live in Michigan and it's snowing pretty good here - so, I can't run outside like I prefer to. So it's just a treadmill until mid-May. I checked into C25K and I'm going to try it. Thanks for all your help!