Options
I am NOT a Veggie eater-OK salad-and my mother says corn is a vegetable-
Let's say no Green vegetables...
What to choose instead?

Replies

• lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Carrots (you did say no GREEN veggies!) they're kinda sweet, yummy, and great with light ranch! Mmmmm!

Also, dipping any veggies in hummus makes them seem so decadent and delish!
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well, hm. There's carrots and sweet potatoes and beets and red cabbage and red/yellow/orange peppers.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    More seriously, you might want to evaluate what it is that you don't like about certain vegetables. Then you might be able to find different ways to cook and eat them that you might enjoy more.

(Cauliflower)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain, not a vegetable.

Try a new one every week, you're sure to find something you like.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Drink V8 Fusion...fruit and veggies all in one.
  • MaySunrise
    MaySunrise Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Love the hummus idea....
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I never used to be big into veggies until I learned different ways to cook them. One of my favorites is to saute up some mushrooms, peppers, onions, zucchini, and squash with a little black beans, garlic, cumin, and red pepper then make a quesadilla using two low-cal tortillas and low-fat cheese... super filling and packed with veggies for about 350-400 cals!
  • MaySunrise
    MaySunrise Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I could have had a V8!!! Why didn't I think of that??????
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    seriously? you are not almost 50 and refuse to eat vegetables are you? I'm sorry I'm a little in shock...and surprised that there hasn't been major health repercussions because you refuse to eat vegetables
  • CelesteHerrera
    Options
    Oh I hope you change your mind and learn to eat greens.....they are so important if fighting illness!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Don't forget turnips and rutabagas--my newest faves--oh, and parsnips! SO good in soups or just roasted with some seasonings and olive oil!

Seriously, though--try different ways of preparing the various vegetables--you just might be surprised at what you DO like!
    (And I agree--corn is a grain!)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you try to learn to eat all types of veggies - it's one thing to say there's a few you don't like, but to rule out all green vegetables is another thing! They say it's important to eat a rainbow of veggies every week, which includes the green ones! You can "hide" them in food - ex. making a fruit smoothie with spinach added - it's green but you can't taste the spinach. I also mix spinach in eggs. You can add spinach to lasagna or meatloaf - all kinds of things. There are even cookbooks that are about disguising veggies in food - one's by Jerry's Seinfeld's wife - you might look into it.

Give foods a new try - cook/prepare them in different ways. I don't like iceberg lettuce, but spinach is another thing! Yum! Preparation can make all the difference. Salads don't have to be bland or boring - try some baby greens with various veggies and add things like black or garbanzo beans, some feta cheese, the protein of your choice, sprouts, some sunflower seeds - all kinds of interesting things to include. I didn't used to like salads or a ton of veggies, but the more I ate them the more my tastebuds adapted.

Here's an article about the importance of green leafy veggies: http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/datastorefiles/234-104.pdf

Here's a good article about eating veggies: http://thespecific.com/blog/2010/03/10/gratifying-greens-the-importance-of-green-vegetable/
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    There are so many delicious ways to prepare veggies, how can you not like them?! Try a good broccoli salad, or some roasted Cajun asparagus. Saute butternut squash in real butter until the edges brown, it's better than fresh-made potato chips. Try Kale chips, or hide spinach in tomato sauce. With a hundred veggie choices, and a thousand cooking methods, there's bound to be ones you like.
    And the mother in me has to add, "Grow up! Eat your vegetables! They're good for you, and you will eventually start liking them."
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Watch those juices/fusions...full of sugars.

And what about sneaking veggies into your meals??? Like...I make a smoothie every single morning and I add about 1/4-1/2 a cup of baby spinach to it. Yeah it makes the thing green and people gawk at me, but I can't taste it one bit.

Or what about pureed soups? Asparagus, carrot, squash, mushroom...there are so many!

Or what about adding pureed vegetables into some other foods you like? There is a woman who came out with a cookbook a year or two back that focused just on this because her kids hated vegetables and refused to eat them.

Good luck!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never met a veggie that I didn't like. . .but my sister-in-law is a different story. If there's anything green in her fridge it's because something went south.

But how about cauliflower--particularly mashed or grated and used as a substitute for potatoes or rice?
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies to (and yes I am OLD):bigsmile:
    But this week I have been stir frying (using a spray) and I can not get enough of them: Celery, bok choy, spinach, cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, mushrooms, today I am adding green beans to the mix, I haven't had those in a long time. What I did also was to cut them up small and served it with some rice.
    Try to mix it up and find what you like.
    Good luck,
    Karen
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Wait, did my 4 years old took my computer when I was not looking???
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Learn to love them. There are literally thousands of varieties of vegetables eaten across the globe. Saying that you don't like any green ones is really limiting yourself.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    haha glad im not the only one that doesnt like veggies... or fruit
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Funny, I live with a grown man who hates them, and it does not matter what I try, he will not go to the "Lite":smile: But he is still healthy. There are alternatives. V* is a great option especially the low sodium and the V8 fusion comes in a Lite version so the calories are not high. There are many newer foods coming out where veggies are being thrown in and disguised so that folks like you dont know they are there. I get a lot of bang for the buck by using a blender and changing the texture. Some of it is a texture thing and some of it is a smell issue. Get on the web and do some research on recipes that are high in vitamins low in green veggies... you'll find stuff.