Grocery list for a constant snacker

Options
2»

Replies

• pixelblossom
    pixelblossom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with the one who said to eat protein. It is lower in calories and you aren't hungry for a long time after. When I eat carbs I can't fill up and I'm constantly hungry. The boiled egg idea is a good one and string cheese too. I'd stay away from cerals of all kinds. Look at the carbs on the nutrition information and you'll find they're way too high.

Also, a cheap idea is Wasa multigrain crackers. Real cheap, very crunchy and you can spread them with a thin layer of low fat cheese, or natural peanut butter as long as you don't over do it.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I am a popcorn addict, too. I have completely kicked the butter habit by buying something called "Kernel Seasons" - I find it at Target. It is SOOO good. They have white cheddar and nacho cheese flavors,and I haven't even bought those (or checked the nutritional info) because I love the butter flavor one so much. It is something like 3 calories for 1/4 tsp - which isn't a lot of seasoning, or a lot of calories, but if you look at it this way, you can put 5 teaspoons of it on a couple of tablespoons of popcorn, and the whole thing is around 400 calories, give or take. 60 calories for the seasoning and around 350 or so for the popcorn. (I can't remember exactly.)

Other carb snacks that aren't too high in calories are goldfish and pretzel sticks. I buy Target brand pretzels and you can eat 48 for 100 calories. And 43 goldfish (I buy the flavor-blasted cheddar/pretzel mixed bag) for something like 120 calories. Wait until Target or Wal Mart has them on sale and stock up. They're not particularly cheap, but are pretty satisfying.

On the other hand, what others have said is true about protein. You will fill up faster and stay full longer if you eat almonds, peanuts, cashews, or some combination of those. Or cheese. Or when you're eating a meal and not snacking, eat beans, lean meats, low-fat cheeses. All those things are good protein sources without being too high in calories. The nuts are high in fat, but good fat. Try to switch to brown rice and whole wheat or whole grain pasta (or if you're adventurous, something like quinoa.) They are complex carbs, and will fill you up, but take longer to break down, so they keep you full longer.
  • shelly_lee2000
    shelly_lee2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Snap pea's and carrots
  • AP2011
    AP2011 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would try to drink lots of water and try to have a breakfast with more fibre to help keep you feeling full longer.... In terms of cheap snacks veggies are probably one of the best choices.... Good luck!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My current favorite snacks:

Popcorn (i drench it in "I Cant Believe its Not Butter" spray...im talking 800 squirts)
    carrots
    snap peas (1 cup is a TON and takes a while to eat)
    cherry tomatoes
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    edamame (cheap at Walmart, 4 mins in the microwave and takes a WHILE to eat...very filling and healthy)
    animal crackers (not great, but better than chips)
    raisins (sugary, but better than ice cream)
    great value chocolate ice cream cups (100 cals and hits the spot)
    string cheese
    hormel turkey pepperoni (17 slices is 70 cals) I eat this with wheat thins (100 cal) and Laughing Cow garlic herb cheese
    green peppers
    Sabra hummus (indiviudal servings, or i'd eat the entire tub at once)
    eggs (hard boiled)
    lightly salted rice cakes with peanut butter
    white cheddar rice cakes (yumm)
    Quakes Ranch rice cake minis
    yogurt with granola
    cottage cheese
    celery (i eat this with ranch dip, but 1 tbsp of ranch can go a looong way)

Hope this helps!!
  • lisarazz79
    Options
    Cottage cheese or baby bell cheese, hummus and veggies....go for the protein it will keep you full longer...carbs you need but not as snacks...and make sure carbs are under 17g per serving in anything you eat!! best of luck with your healthy lifestyle!