Fresh Fruit Question

Options
Hi everyone...are there any fresh fruits that I should stay away from? Like ones that may be really high in sugar or something? I love Apples, Bananas, Grapes, Oranges, Peaches and Plums, so that is typically what I buy. I also like blueberries and eat them in cereal or oatmeal occasionally but they are very expensive so I don't buy them often. I am scared of buying the wrong things that are only going to pack more pounds on instead of helping me shed them. Thanks in advance for your input.

Andrea

Replies

• Soccerstar19
    Options
    Fruits really are good for you and as long as your not eating too much you should be good to go
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think alot of fruits are high in sugar; however, they are probably lower in calories that their sugary snack equals and would be a much better choice. I would continue to eat what you like and just watch your daily totals on your tracker. If you see that higher sugar weeks mean lower weight loss for you, you can adjust to meet your individual needs. Good luck!
  • debssie46
    Options
    I think Bananas are fattenning....if I want a banana I only have 1/3 of it and it satisfies my urges.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't thinkt here are any fruits that aren't as good for you as the rest; however, if you are following a certain diet plan they might restrict a couple. Like banana's are a no-no on the Atkins diet, I believe.

If you like blueberries in cereal then you should get the frozen kind! I buy frozen blue berries and put a few in a bowl in the fridge to thaw before tossing it into my cereal. Cheaper and just as good. :)
  • dinacav
    dinacav Posts: 12
    Options
    Natural sugar is much better than refined and processed sugar. Don't worry too much about the sugar unless you are eating a carton of strawberries a day. :)
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    Usually the melons, like watermelon and cantaloupe are very hugh in sugar.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Bananas ARE high in sugar; however, they also fuel your body well, have tons of potassium, and are full of vitamins and minerals.

My doctor told me not to worry about the sugars in fruits because of their tremendous health benefits, but stay away from foods that have ADDED sugar in them.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Andrea, something you should consider is what else you get along with the sugar in fruits. Fruits are packed with many essential vitamins and minerals....as well as fiber....and antioxidants! They are nutrient dense foods therefore they are something you SHOULD eat! Be mindful of portion sizes (an apple the size of a tennis ball, a serving of grapes should be able the size of your fist, a banana should be able 5 inches or smaller, etc). You should consume 2 - 3 fruits per day. :) Enjoy!
  • meggiemaye
    Options
    I agree with Soccerstar19...as long as you're eating in moderation, fruits are great for you. :)

Pineapple, banana, avocados, oranges, passion fruit, grapes, and pears are the highest in sugar an calories.

Berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) are the best for you when it comes to balancing sugar and calories.

Melons are high in sugar but low in calories.

Above all, just eat fresh fruit as part of an eating plan...and try to avoid canned or dried fruit except for occasional snacking...the syrup in canned fruit can be full of yuckiness and it's easy to overeat with dried fruit, because all the water is gone and so it's condensed, you get twice the calories with half the fruit.

:)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    By the way, blueberries are one of my FAVORITE fruits because they are tiny little power houses of nutrients! Definitely add them to your oatmeal and such when you can afford it. SO SO good for you!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    all I have to say is: EAT UP!

As long as you've got veggies and grains and stuff in the house too, you'll be fine. Much better to grab a banana than a Mars Bar.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What I have been doing is eating some sort of fresh fruit with my cheerios in the morning. I am using that sugar to replace the white sugar or sugar substitute because the sweetness of the fruit is all I need. That is typically the only fruit I am eating though. Just the one serving in the morning. I will add more to my diet!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    One important thing regarding sugars and meals. Every meal should contain protein to guard against insulin spikes that cause a crash later. Natural foods are the best for you. When looking at food in the store, ask yourself, "Is this how it came out of the field?" Purchase food as close to that state as possible.(less processing and preservatives)
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When looking at food in the store, ask yourself, "Is this how it came out of the field?" Purchase food as close to that state as possible.(less processing and preservatives)
    :smooched: absolutely!!!!!