Thinking up a sweat

Options
Okay, so apparently the brain is the least energy-efficient organ in the human body. In fact, more than 30% of all calories consumed go toward fueling it.

With that in mind, does anyone know if the brain consumes calories at a constant uniform rate, or if there are certain cognitive tasks which require more energy than others?

Yes, I am talking about trying to develop a workout that burns fat without requiring movement (I know there are additional benefits to real exercise, and I wouldn't suggest making this one's sole exercise).

Replies

• Dgimson
    Options
    Not exactly what you were looking for but I did read somewhere that actually thinking about the activity you are doing as excercise (ie - housekeeping) will make you burn more calories and lose more weight. There was a study done on hotel maids where 1/2 were told that their job would help them lose weight and the other 1/2 were not (all kept eating the same during the study). The 1/2 that were told that their job was exercise actually lost more weight during the study. Guess thinking thin works.