is it possible??

Options
hey, i was wondering if it is possible to loose 20 pounds by may. i weigh 156 currently, and i am trying to reach my goal of 130

Replies

• sashaverlene
    sashaverlene Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Totally possible! :) 20 pounds, if not MORE!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You should lose about a pound a week, which takes you right into May, but also some weeks you may lose 2-3, but keep in mind there could be weeks that you don't lose at all. But yeah, totally doable.
  • ksv123
    ksv123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but losing 20 pounds within 4+ months is certainly doable.
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Possible.. yes but realistically shoot for a pound a week for a healthy, sensible weight loss. A slower loss is more likely to stay lost.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? It depends completely on what you are doing and how close to goal you are. The last few pounds tend to come off really slowly because it is the fat that's closest to the muscle tissue. Totally depends:) Nothing wrong with trying:)
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    if you cardio every day and stay on a strict diet, you could lose 20lbs in 4-6 weeks
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    They say that up to 2 lbs a week is what's possible/healthy so I would say yes, in theory. On the other hand, the less you have to lose, the harder it can be to lose weight. That is, it takes more calories to haul around a 300 lb body in a day than a 150 lb body, so if those same two people ate the same 1500 calorie/day diet the 300 lb person would lose MUCH more weight.

Let me see... the math geek in me LOVES weight loss... To get to 130 lbs by May 1st, you need to average about an 830 calorie deficit each day. What I do is I set my "goal" at just a smidge below maintenance, which happens to be 2000 right now for my height/weight/gender, but that will vary from person to person. Go into your goals and go to the manual edit option, then just play around with different numbers til you figure out what you maintenance goal is. Setting it up that way makes it easier (to me, anyhow) to make sure I am always losing SOMETHING day to day, and in your case you'll be able to just shoot for a big green "830" calories remaining on your MFP homepage. Eat less, exercise more, and try to maintain a deficit around 830 a day, and you should reach your goal by May. And remember to drink plenty of water, too, or sodium levels or hormones can screw up your weight easily.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if "by May" means any time in the month of May, you could probably manage it with only a 650 deficit instead of 830.

Good luck!!!
  • Drealicious
    Options
    Thank you so much! but what do you mean by an 830 calorie deficit?
  • Drealicious
    Options
    I am 5'5, and in school full time. so it is super hard to find time during the week to excersize, but i do it. I am only taking in on average 1200 calories a day, and i burn about on average 400 calories.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5, and in school full time. so it is super hard to find time during the week to excersize, but i do it. I am only taking in on average 1200 calories a day, and i burn about on average 400 calories.
    You'd want to be eating more than 1200 cals if you're burning off 400. The weight likely won't drop off for you if you don't refuel your body, our bodies need enough fuel to burn and can often get stuck weight wise if we don't eat the proper amount of cals for what we burn.

If you're looking to lose that much you might think on eating back some of your workout cals... check the home page for info on 'properly fueling' your body to keep it running healthy.:flowerforyou:
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Cardio every day and give it your everything each time! Strictly non processed foods in reasonable portions! and weight training 2 times a week. Also cut out all the stress from your life and just be happy and live life and those pounds will be dripping ridiculously.

Thats what i have done and i have lost 50+ in 2 and a half months.

Good luck

Stay beautiful
    Richie