Which nuts are best for you.

Options
Let me start off by saying I hate nuts. I understand that they are a big nutritional plus though when ate in moderation. So, if I have to eat nuts, which type is going to give me more bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Let me start off by saying I hate nuts. I understand that they are a big nutritional plus though when ate in moderation. So, if I have to eat nuts, which type is going to give me more bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance.

Must avoid saying juvinile things..... Must avoid... Act my age...
  • Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    Options
    I read that wallnuts are the best, because of the high omega 3. Other nuts contain more omega 6, and eating them will disturb the balance of omega 3 and omega 6. You need to have more omega 3. And if you don't like nuts, you can try this:

Take thick yoghurt (turkish, greek, bulgarian)
    add walnuts in it
    a bit of honey and enjoy!

at naughty days, add whipped cream.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't force yourself to waste calories on something you don't like! You can get nutrients elsewhere...
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The nutrients and healthy fats in nuts can't be replaced by other things. You should definitely eat small amounts of nuts on a daily basis. I love cashews and have about a 1/4 cup of them each day. I also love raw pecans. Pecans have a lot of flavor. But be careful! Pecans are very high in calories, so make sure you measure out a serving. :)
  • rclemens1221
    Options
    A small handful of almonds gives you almost 25% percent of your daily needs for magnesium, and more bone-strengthening calcium as an equal amount of milk.

They are also high in many antioxidants, such as vitamin E and selenium. Almonds may play and important role in preventing colon cancer due to their high fiber content. Almonds also help us to actually lower negative forms of cholesterol in the blood stream.

My favorite are Siberian Cedar nuts, originating in Russia, hold 70% of the essential amino acids that the body needs. They also contain high amounts of Vitamin A, B and D, as well as% tocopherol-containing Vitamin E. This exotic nut also contains a special form of Vitamin P, a vital fatty acid similar to fish oil, which is known for reducing the amount of LDL cholesterol, keeping the arterial walls free of disease-causing inflammation and plaque.

Raw nuts are a big part of my diet and pack the most energy of any other food. They make a healthy snack that is low in calories. Healthy nuts are definitely a great addition to your diet.
  • rclemens1221
    Options

Thanks in advance.

LOL.......I was a good boy.......Could have said alot of things....
  • jtee12
    jtee12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say eat any of the nuts except for peanuts. They don't help in the absorption of vitamin E and also no salted nuts. My favorite is pistachios and walnuts. My diet is Paleo and I eat a lot of nuts but only a handful in the mourning and as a snack at night.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I've gotta say, my husband has got me crazed on walnuts recently. They are higher in calories but so worth it nutritionally. Omega 3, fiber, protein and interestingly enough they contain melatonin which is often times used as a sleep aid when the body is lacking that naturally occurring compound. I've been eating 3 a night with a clementine a couple of hours before bed...so tasty!!!
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance.

Haha....I thought about that when I posted this.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance.

Why does Snoop Dogg come immediately to mind?
  • lsiberian
    Options
    I don't eat nuts. You can get your essential fats from olive oil and fish. Why make yourself eat something you aren't designed to eat. For the record almonds are my favorite. unsalted fresh ground peanut butter is quite nice too.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Someone already said this, but if you don't like nuts don't eat them - you can get healthy fats elsewhere like avocados. However, if you are going to eat nuts the general rule I follow is the darker the meat of nut the better it is for you putting walnuts, almonds and pecans at the top of the list and peanuts, cashews and macadamia nuts (unfortuntely) at the bottom of the good for you list.
  • nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    Firstly humans are designed to eat some nuts, like walnuts and almonds, brazil and hazel nuts. However, you can get the nutrition offered from nuts from things like seeds, such as sunflower, pumkin, flax and chia. These are full of vitamins, minerals, omega 3,6 & 9!. You may also be surprised to find out that omegas are also available via fruit and veg, especially greens. There are lots of healthy substitutions in nature for some of the things you cannot have (or choose not too :) )