Protein Levels too Low?

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
MFP says I need 1,710 calories and 64 grams of protein. The protein seems very low since just one 8 oz protein drink is 26 grams.

Doesn't 64 grams of proteing seem low for a male who's 6' 1" and 276?

I'm assuming that protein is measure in grams - is that correct?

Thanks for your feedback!

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe it's too low. I eat about 85g to 100+ grams a day.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    I'm trying to build muscle and I'm hitting around 150-175g per day (with a lot of exercise).

If you don't like how the site has it set for you, click the FOOD tab, then GOALS, then manually adjust it. :)

Good luck!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I know that for me they have it set to almost the exact same amount and I'm a 5'3" 118 pound 24 year old chick. Its low for sure. I aim for 80-100. I was actually experiencing hair loss due to nutritional issues that started in September and once I upped my protein intake things have finally, just now, started to regulate better. :o)
  • ATT949
    Options
    I firmly believe it's too low. I eat about 85g to 100+ grams a day.
    Thanks.
    Size-wise I should be a bit higher than you.
    Think I'll crank in 125 and see how things go.
  • ATT949
    Options
    I'm trying to build muscle and I'm hitting around 150-175g per day (with a lot of exercise).

If you don't like how the site has it set for you, click the FOOD tab, then GOALS, then manually adjust it. :)

Good luck!
    I'm not working out as hard as you - elliptical some days, dumbbells on others so I'll shoot for 125 and see how that works.

BTW, if you're interested in a set of adjustable dumbbells, I've been using these and I like them quite a bit:

PowerBlock SportBlock 24 Adjustable 3 to 24-Pounds per Dumbbell Set

Got mine at Amazon.

I found the page where I can set my Goals. Thanks for the tip!
  • I was talking to my sister about this last week, she said her personal trainer told her since she is working out 4-5 days a week she should try to get a gram of protein for each pound she weighs

This site definitely has protein set waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low
  • ATT949
    Options
    I know that for me they have it set to almost the exact same amount and I'm a 5'3" 118 pound 24 year old chick. Its low for sure. I aim for 80-100. I was actually experiencing hair loss due to nutritional issues that started in September and once I upped my protein intake things have finally, just now, started to regulate better. :o)
    Hmmm - 5' 4"/118/24 = 6' 1"/276/54?

I don't think so!

Maybe that's why I'm bald? :smile:

I just modified my goals and we'll see how things go.

Thanks.
  • ATT949
    Options
    I was talking to my sister about this last week, she said her personal trainer told her since she is working out 4-5 days a week she should try to get a gram of protein for each pound she weighs

This site definitely has protein set waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low
    That's what it looks like. According to their settings, I was getting all of the proteins I needed from a couple of protein drinks.
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    That's what it looks like. According to their settings, I was getting all of the proteins I needed from a couple of protein drinks.

The rule of thumb is that for a body builder you would need 1-1.5gram per lb. With that in mind, you don't want to be in that vicinity unless you're looking to do body building.

As for nutrition you don't really need protein drinks because you can get your protein naturally from foods. Protein drinks are used as supplements to those (body builders) who need to consume large amounts of protein where eating just food is not possible.

As long as you're not at a protein deficit, you should be ok.