help me understand...

amehrkens
amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I am sure this has been convered many times....can you help me understand what my calorie intake should be? My daily allowance is 1720 should I eat that or should I eat what the adjusted amount is after I add in my exercise? I am having a hard time even meeting my 1720 I am not sure how I would add in the extras.

Replies

• I was just wondering the same thing and was trying to find the answer on here.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    You do NOT have to add in the extras. Let your body guide you.. If you are not hungry, then don't eat. If you are, then definitely make use of some of those extra alloted calories.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    You do NOT have to add in the extras. Let your body guide you.. If you are not hungry, then don't eat. If you are, then definitely make use of some of those extra alloted calories.

100% agree with this.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    I am not sure what everyone else will say but I can tell you first hand what happened to me. I used to eat the daily alottment and then exercise and add those calories back on....then eat some more, that way I did not lose anything, hence you are never going into your reserve and burning that. Therefore....I NOW eat my 1210 calories and if I exercise so be it, I never eat those calories too. That may be wrong but that is what I do, just from my experience. I lost 68 pounds, started eating the calories I burnt and never lost any more until this week, it was almost 3 months with no loss...not much gain....but now loss. Take it or leave it.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Thank you for your responses! I think I will play it by ear for a few weeks and see how it goes!
  • I never use those extra calories earned...I stick to the allotted calories without exercise. For me it just keeps me consistent on how much I am eating daily PLUS it helps you lose the weight faster. I think they are there to show you that once you reach your goal weight and you want to maintain that you can actually eat more if you exercise!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    I highly recommend you go to the "sticky" notes at the top of this forum section. They're really useful posts previously made by really smart folks, and they've been marked with the red push pin icon and are always there at the top. They contain multiple posts that will answer all of your questions about eating exercise calories and a lot of other topics. It takes a bit of time to read them all, but it's worth it. Good luck!

PS - I always eat most, if not all, of my exercise cals, and my loss has been pretty good.
This discussion has been closed.