Too Many Calories?

dancah18
dancah18 Posts: 26
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey does anyone else think that sometimes it gives you too many calories for exercise? When I have over 1000 calories left it seems a little extreme. Especially when I don't think I was eating that well-and I manually reduced the number of calories and it still seemed like too many. What do you do?

Replies

• doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    If I am working as hard as I should be when I work out - I give myself 100 calories burned every 10 minutes and ignore the higher number MFP or the machines give me. It's helping take the weight off.
  • You should not be eating at 1000 calories deficit. 500 is probably the best target if you want to lose weight. You are going to want to stop losing weight at some point.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Do not use this website to judge calorie expenditure. It is not taking into account your height, weight, gender, or heart rate. I would recommend using machines that can tell you (still not super accurate, but it does take weight into account). Or getting a heart rate monitor watch which can measure calorie expenditure.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    A heart rate monitor is a must!!! The calories burned for the activites on this site are WAY too much. Before I started using my HRM, I would reduce the calories by 1/3 and go with that number.
  • It's all an estimation. You might wanna think about doing less exercises if you cannot eat the calories it takes. If you need to eat a 1000 calories that means you have at least a 1500 calorie deficit. If you're set to lose two pounds a week, your deficit is like 2000 calories. Try to do a better job at balancing your exercises with your calorie consumption because you can damage your body if you're not careful. Starving your body like that is a form of bulimic behavior, and should be avoided.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Definately invest in a heart rate monitor. They are way more accurate than anything else becuase it's set to YOUR specific body. This way you know exactly how many calories you are burning. Hope that helped!
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Get a heart rate monitor. Usually machines (treadmill, elliptical, etc) and/or MFP adds at least 100-150 extra burned calories to my workout. I use my heart rate monitor and manually enter the calories I burned. Good luck!
  • Thanks for the tips! The only problem with a heart rate monitor that I can see is that i'm a dancer so I don't know how wearing it would go lol! But anyway, yeah I logged my 120 minutes of dance today and it said I burned 688 calories. That seemed way extreme to me lol. How do you guys log your calories for things that don't require machines?
This discussion has been closed.