Strawberries really are awesome!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, I've been pigging out on strawberries recently. I never knew how good for you they were!

8 medium berries come out to 45 calories. They also have 140% of your needed vitamin c, they're ripe with chemicals that loer cholesterol and fight cancer. The chemicals also inhibit bacteria from mutating, meaning if you have an infection it can make it easier to get healthy again.

Woohoo, yay strawberry season!

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    So, I've been pigging out on strawberries recently. I never knew how good for you they were!

8 medium berries come out to 45 calories. They also have 140% of your needed vitamin c, they're ripe with chemicals that loer cholesterol and fight cancer. The chemicals also inhibit bacteria from mutating, meaning if you have an infection it can make it easier to get healthy again.

Woohoo, yay strawberry season!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm with you M.. yumminess!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    They've been super cheap here, too - - for about a month now I've been stocked up all the time!

Perfect for topping cereal, making smoothies, or dipping in yogurt, hershey's syrup, or just eating plain!
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Like cheating without cheating.:smile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yes, there's something in that red color too that's really good for you (can't remember what it was, but it wasn't vitamen A, something else)

Boo hoo, I miss living near the strawberry fields in California :sad: :sad:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    LOVE strawberries!!! Great on cereal Iike Cheerios or Rice Krispies, or covered with vanilla yogurt....yummy! Add a few blueberries and/or raspberries, and it's even better!
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    They also have a lot of sugar :sad:
  • beep
    Options
    They also have a lot of sugar :sad:

Believe it or not, they really don't! They are low in carbs, check it out and compare strawberries to say peaches, or oranges.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i'm allergic to strawberries :sad: :sad:

i'm trying to find a GI chart for the board here on google and can't find an adequate one :(

but fruit sugar is fructose. that has a lower GI than cane sugar, which is converted into sucrose.

essentially, your body processes it better and slower and doesn't cause your insulin levels to spike (and thus causes you to drop).
  • beep
    Options
    i'm allergic to strawberries :sad: :sad:

i'm trying to find a GI chart for the board here on google and can't find an adequate one :(

but fruit sugar is fructose. that has a lower GI than cane sugar, which is converted into sucrose.

essentially, your body processes it better and slower and doesn't cause your insulin levels to spike (and thus causes you to drop).

The Southbeach site might have one. Strawberries are low glycemic as well. I'm so sorry you're allergic to them! :laugh: Blueberries are really really good for you too.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry, too! :(
    they make me wheeze and break out in hives!! BOO!!! used to eat them all the time - in fact, once i went on a "strawberry & subway" diet.

lost fifteen pounds. dang.
  • beep
    Options
    That wasn't supposed to be a laughing face in ther, btw, it was supposed to be a sad face....