which is the best workout time? morning or everning?

Options
2»

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I had this question a long time ago...before joining MFP...and this is basically what I found out:

There are pros for both morning and evening...and after reading gobs of articles (peer-reviewed scientific articles, not in grocery store mags) the conclusion is still inconclusive as to which is "best."

So if after years and years of countless hours of research science has pinpointed what's best for everyone, then I believe the answer must be this:

Just workout whenever YOU can. Whatever works best for you is going to give you the best results because you will do it. :flowerforyou:

Agreed. The best time is the time that works for you. Any sort of increased burn from doing it in the morning is minimal. Its all calories in and calories out. I’ve worked out in the evenings (other than weekends, I work out at like 10:00 am) for the past 5 years.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The only workout I get in the morning is waking to my alarm, moaning/yelling at my alarm, and slamming my fist on the 'snooze' button. I'm sure that burns roughly about 10 calories.

I am NOT a morning person so the thought of waking earlier than I need to in order to get sweaty and active is just not my cup of tea. I find that evening workouts are best for me. I guess it's just good to get it in whenever you can.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For Burning calories, which is the best workout time? morning or evening? thanks

Yes.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For Burning calories, which is the best workout time? morning or evening? thanks

Yes.

Exactly!
  • Azdak
    Options
    Morning! Here is a link to a great article that was sent to me by my bootcamp instructor. Very interesting.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2011/01/04/the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast.aspx?aid=CD945

Keep in mind that this was a very short term study done under unusual feeding conditions. One of the biggest mistakes that "fitness experts" make is that they tend to inappropriately generalize the results of a narrow study to the population as a whole or to project an isolated physiologic occurrence into an unproven "cause and effect" relationship. This study was interesting but hardly conclusive.
  • Azdak
    Options
    This is an article on the subject that makes sense.

http://www.intense-workout.com/cardio.html

Unfortunately, what "makes sense" is often--as it is in this case--contradicted by the actual facts.

All too often people regard an exercise workout as though it is some hermeticallly-sealed isolated event, unrelated to anything else we do during the day. Our metabolism is a dynamic process and everything we do throughout the day, week, year, etc, is interrelated. The changes that occur during a workout are just transient responses to the demands of the activity--they are not permanent.

For example, people often place a great deal of importance on the "fat burning" quality of a workout. Yet, research has shown pretty conclusively that the body responds to the amount of fat burned during a workout (which is a trivial amount to begin with) by regulating fat oxidation the rest of the time after the workout. If the workout burns a higher amount of fat, the body burns less the rest of the day, and vice versa. At the end of 24 hours, the total amount of fat burned is the same, whether you burned more fat or more carbs during exercise.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This is an article on the subject that makes sense.

http://www.intense-workout.com/cardio.html

Unfortunately, what "makes sense" is often--as it is in this case--contradicted by the actual facts.

All too often people regard an exercise workout as though it is some hermeticallly-sealed isolated event, unrelated to anything else we do during the day. Our metabolism is a dynamic process and everything we do throughout the day, week, year, etc, is interrelated. The changes that occur during a workout are just transient responses to the demands of the activity--they are not permanent.

For example, people often place a great deal of importance on the "fat burning" quality of a workout. Yet, research has shown pretty conclusively that the body responds to the amount of fat burned during a workout (which is a trivial amount to begin with) by regulating fat oxidation the rest of the time after the workout. If the workout burns a higher amount of fat, the body burns less the rest of the day, and vice versa. At the end of 24 hours, the total amount of fat burned is the same, whether you burned more fat or more carbs during exercise.

Very well said! and it makes me feel better about what I'm doing in the gym!! I wish MFP would give me calorie points for the Weight lifting I do
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Yes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

True but funny to read, nonetheless.