Need new healthy food ideas!

Options
Hi guys!

I'm starting to get a little bored of my current shopping list, and I was wondering if anyone had any favorite healthy picks of their own that I could try. I love anything ethnic or out-of-the-ordinary, and will eat pretty much anything as long as it's yummy!

Replies

• anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    make a hot and sour soup:
    Include tofu, bamboo shoots, black mushrooms, rice vinegar, sesame oil, green onions, and hot chilis! Guaranteed to make you sweat.
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I make lasagna that I created to be 'light'/ less in calories if you like lasagna I can give you the recipe. It's very good - not a single person who has had it thought it was a 'diet' version.

Or I make really really really good / pretty healthy turkey burgers I can give the recipe to, if you like turkey burgers.

:o)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash--use ragu pizza sauce in it (very low carbs) with some Laughing Cow Cheese wedges melted in it -taste like macaroni

Turnip fries - so good, just bake them with seasoning after cutting them into fry shapes.

zucchini ribbons - peel zucchini just to the seeds and discard the part with the seeds. Add a few sliced tomatoes, a dash of chicken broth, some seasoning and 2 wedges of laughing cow cheese- taste like pasta.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    my food blog is full of recipes, tips, and ideas and I am working on a pantry stocking checklist and a list of great 100 or less calorie snacks!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Probably won't win you any awards but my dinners for the past two weeks have included a "burrito bowl" fashioned after what you can get at Chipotle.

- Steamed white rice (feel free to substitute quinoa for a healthier alternative) + cilantro + a touch of lime juice
    - Black beans + corn + salsa; cook on a pan without oil until it's dry-ish, spice with chili powder + steak/taco seasoning (low sodium of course)
    - Chicken breast (I grill them in bulk)
    - Sprinkle with low-fat cheese

And done! :bigsmile: I make large portions so I can put them away in tupperware containers and just portion it out over the next few days.
  • judylou1
    Options
    I'm just learning how to use a juicer... one day I drink a soup (because I heat it in the microwave) with many different veggies, especially adding onions, broccoli, cauliflour & a bit of garlic; the next day I have a fruit drink w/ pineapple, apples, grapes, star fruit (Hawaii)
    & sometimes a sweet potatoe it makes it seem creamy. Carrots & apples with a slice of ginger root are the main staples of all my drinks... celery, cucumber & celantro also go with everything. Just the adventure of the different kinds of flavors that can be make with the juicer is fun.
    I don't use white potatoes... you can try it yourself or you can take my word that the metalic taste isn't plesant.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The hot and sour sounds amazing (just less the tofu)
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Here is a fish and fennel recipe:

2 pounds fennel with fronds still attached (3 medium bulbs)
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, preferably a spring onion, chopped (about 1 cup chopped onion)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 1/2 pounds firm white fish fillets, such as Pacific cod, Pacific halibut or striped mullet

1. Trim the stalks and fronds from the fennel, and set them aside. Quarter the bulbs, cut away the cores and slice thin across the grain. You should have about 4 cups sliced fennel. Chop the fronds, and measure out 1 to 2 tablespoons (to taste).
    2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, nonstick skillet, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about three minutes. Add the fennel and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the fennel mixture is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, stir together and cover the pan. Turn the heat to low, and continue to cook 5 to 10 more minutes until the mixture is very soft and fragrant. Stir in the chopped fennel fronds, and remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    3. While the fennel is cooking, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Oil a baking dish large enough for the fish to fit in a single layer. Season the fish with salt and pepper, and arrange in the baking dish. Cover with the fennel stalks you set aside. Cover the dish tightly with foil, and place in the oven. Bake 15 minutes. Check the fish; if you can cut into it with a fork, it is done (cod will cook more quickly than halibut). If it is still tough in the middle, cover and return to the oven for five minutes. Remove from the oven and check again. Remove the fennel stalks from the fish and discard.
    4. Place the cooked fennel on a platter or on individual plates, top with the fish fillets and serve.

Pam
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    HAve you heard of Shiriataki noodles..they are noodles made of tofu. The whole package (I eat a package to myself) is only 40 calories!!! For real! I first take small pot, add two light laughing cows and smoosh them to melt them a bit..then I rinse the noodles- add to the laughing cows and mix. I might add like a teaspoon of fresh parmesan..This whole thing is 100 calories and is a huge bowl of noodles! I love them! Add a salad, steamed broccoli, any veggie you like and great meal!
    The 40 calories that are in the noodles are all protein and fibre.