Gaining Muscle

Options
Does the site formula support people who are trying to build muscle?
aka gain weight?

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I would think so. Most people are looking to lose here but the settings are totally customizable.

Good luck!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes. Home>Goals>recommended. In there MFP allows you to choose how much you want to gain/lose a week and will adjust your calories for the day accordingly :)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Eat at your current caloric level for abouttwo weeks. If you are gaining weight, keep it there for another two weeks. If you are maintaining or losing, increase it again by 100 - 200 calories. Rinse and repeat.

Or just bang your head through the wall and eat ~500 calories over your maintenance. Expect to gain some fat though. Continue to check your gains every two weeks, and increase as you plateau.

Also, the default protein on MFP is a little low in my opinion, but that is ultimately up for you to decide.

Building muscle places much more importance on your exercise plan than fat loss. However, dieting plays a major role.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Calorie-tracking is the same regardless of your goals. But if you're trying to gain muscle/weight you won't have a fancy ticker or any of the badges. :laugh:
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. Since you can either set it to gain weight or put input your own custom goals, you can use this site to make sure you are reaching your calorie goals for weight gain. Calorie counting is just as important for quiality weight gain as it is for fat loss, possibly moreso.

Up your protein and carbs, focus on complex carbs, and avoid all bad fats at all costs to open yourself for the good fats you'll need. It can be hard to avoid fats when trying to get as many calories as you'll need, so basically you'll end up stuffing yourself with clean foods. Cheating every now and then is fine, IMO.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am losing now. I need to lose about 20 lbs but eventaully will do bulker.

I can't really use mfp for tha calories I take in because of the protein they say to eat. I eat 60 per protein 30 carbs and 10 fats. Or at least I try to stay true to that.

Thanks
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options

I can't really use mfp for tha calories I take in because of the protein they say to eat. I eat 60 per protein 30 carbs and 10 fats. Or at least I try to stay true to that.

Thanks

You can adjust that.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Thanks

My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Guided > Sedentary > Maintenance (To reset all the values)

Then,

My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom (To set the goals to meet your needs)
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    nice to see some muscle heads on this site
    Hopefully afterI lose my 20-25 (depends on looks really). I will be trying to gain some muscle

thanks for all the posts guys!