Career change? or Crazy?

Options
Over the last year an in the past 30 days I have changed a great deal. Im a different person than I was on Jan 12th 2010.
In the last few days I feel overwhelmingly drawn to try and help other people achieve what I have.

Its something I feel strongly about and I believe I can be that motivation and guidance thats necessary to steer another person onto the right path and help them achieve their health and fitness goals.

My questions is am I stupid? Can I make a career as a helth and fitness consultant/trainer? Is the economy in such a bad spot that doing something like this is crazy and even if the economy wasn't a problem is this a field that is lucrative. Has anyone done this and been successful with it. Can you give some insight?

Replies

• ahbach2005
    Options
    Beleive it or not a down economy can be a time to start a bussiness....its all in how you approach it

If you love it you will make it work
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    My reply - why not?

If it's something you feel passionately about, go for it.

L.
  • luvmygroundtrooper
    Options
    I say if you feels its good calling (I see your religious like me) and you feel passionate about it, go for it! Believe it or not, it may be a bad economy, but I do see many who are paying for gym memberships and such. People will still spend on what they really want! Keep us posted on how it goes!
  • rautaty
    rautaty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are doing now. i considered to become a nutritionist and now I am not sure. I have a friend that with a Masters in Nutrition is working in a store and hopes that they'll promote her as a manager. Think also that trainers are not paied that well, you can help people by becoming a nurse too. I am only 25, maybe i don't know much about many things, but my opinion is that you should weight everything before lunching yourself in such a big project: do you have kids, wife, your current job, your salary, paying your bills etc.
    Good luck:)
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    Think about the thousands of dollars people spend in a life time who struggle with weight that just don't know where to go.

I think that you have something to bring to the table and maybe this is your calling. You can't talk the talk if you haven't walked the walk as they say. I say Go for it!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the only naysayer, but can you make a living at it? If so, I say go for it. Not sure though. If you can give it a go and have the means to support yourself and those that depend on you for a short period while you try it out. I say go for it. If not, you have to be responsible to those in your life.

Not trying to be a d*ck, just trying to look at the practical side.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Just looked at your profile. Wife? 5 kids? Not sure what you do for a living, but doubt being a fitness trainer will rpvide the income to sustain a family of 7.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Roaddog thats what I was concerned about. Maybe I'm best to just do it part time on evening and weekends to start . I totally agree with you i'm not the type to jump in with no clue and lose everything or jeopardize everything I have
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    yup Its crazy. Network Engineer/Admin
  • Fesse
    Options
    Just looked at your profile. Wife? 5 kids? Not sure what you do for a living, but doubt being a fitness trainer will rpvide the income to sustain a family of 7.
    What a Debbie Downer! LOL
  • RoadDog
    Options

I hate to be that guy. On the other hand, you can make a tremendous diference in other people's lives without jeopardizing the welfare of your family, Mcope.

When I grow up, I want to be a chef. 6 more years.
  • Fesse
    Options
    I was thinking part time too!
    People say you can't make money being a massage therapist but RoadDog and I know better. Just saying.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend getting an education in kinesiology first...you'll have more creditability then some crack pot off the street...yeah you have life experience...but there are things you still don't know...so in order to educate someone else you need to be educated too...maybe start by working in a gym at night...or a fitness center...they make crap pay (trust me I worked at the YMCA) but at least you'll get some experience from behind the scenes...I don't know, i'm tired of people becoming coaches and trainers just because they think they know more information than I can get from men's health magazines. If i am going to pay out my butt for a life coach, i want them to know more than I do.
  • Fesse
    Options

I hate to be that guy. On the other hand, you can make a tremendous diference in other people's lives without jeopardizing the welfare of your family, Mcope.

When I grow up, I want to be a chef. 6 more years.
    When I grow up I want to be a RoadDog!
  • amysedwards
    amysedwards Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thoughts... very passionate about change being possible for others and want to help!
    Here's my rationalization - if it helps your decision...

- I am the sole provider for a family of five - so dramatic change isn't an option.
    - What I thrive for is that feeling of being able to help someone else - satisfaction that isn't achieved with my current job.
    - If I help just one person would that be enough? Do I really need to change the world?
    - How much time do I have to invest in this given daily responsibilities?
    - Will this be taking time away from my family? Will they accept this? Will this help me be a better parent?

My result?
    - I've decided to bring others along a few at a time by being a positive influence - so two other women have joined me in running/triathlon training.
    - Be more active on this site and encourage others frequently (those emails you get saying thank you are quite powerful)
    - Start working on my story - deliver motivational speeches in internal work forums for women

Dream? Life Coach
    But each step above will help build that credibility and experience.
  • rautaty
    Options
    RoadDog, thank you, i was feeling a minority on this site.

''I hate to be that guy. On the other hand, you can make a tremendous diference in other people's lives without jeopardizing the welfare of your family, Mcope.

When I grow up, I want to be a chef. 6 more years''

You know, i would be an artist, if i'd follow my passions. As i said, you have to weight in all the details of this situation and maybe consult with your partner and kids.
  • rautaty
    Options
    I'd say keep it as a hobby, as i did with my artistic skills. :)
  • RoadDog
    Options
    I've had the same thoughts... very passionate about change being possible for others and want to help!
    Here's my rationalization - if it helps your decision...

- I am the sole provider for a family of five - so dramatic change isn't an option.
    - What I thrive for is that feeling of being able to help someone else - satisfaction that isn't achieved with my current job.
    - If I help just one person would that be enough? Do I really need to change the world?
    - How much time do I have to invest in this given daily responsibilities?
    - Will this be taking time away from my family? Will they accept this? Will this help me be a better parent?

My result?
    - I've decided to bring others along a few at a time by being a positive influence - so two other women have joined me in running/triathlon training.
    - Be more active on this site and encourage others frequently (those emails you get saying thank you are quite powerful)
    - Start working on my story - deliver motivational speeches in internal work forums for women

Dream? Life Coach
    But each step above will help build that credibility and experience.

You have kids. Guess what? YOU ARE A LIFE COACH!!
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options

I agree with that, and others that were saying you can inspire without changing careers. I find just reading things like this inspiring, and truthfully wish that more people were open and smiling and talkative at the gym that I go to! Not scary just go up to anyone kind of talkative, but encouraging words, and then if conversation breaks out (because I know I do) its even better! Congradulations on finding a passion.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I agree with that, and others that were saying you can inspire without changing careers. I find just reading things like this inspiring, and truthfully wish that more people were open and smiling and talkative at the gym that I go to! Not scary just go up to anyone kind of talkative, but encouraging words, and then if conversation breaks out (because I know I do) its even better! Congradulations on finding a passion.

Thank you all for your responses. I am passionate about it and I agree if I went forward with this I would definitely get some education. I wouldn't want someone to turn around and say I cant do what you did you just got lucky you don't know what your talking about. roadDog and rautaty dont think you guys are Debbie Downers or dream killers. Your the kind of advice people need fortunately I'm alot like you I'm a realist and very analytical.

@Amy thanks I just know that I can help others. If they trust me and believe in themselves I know I can help others reach the same success Ive had.

As for the quote. I have encourage people at the gym before and some people do not take kindly to encouragement.