Lean Cuisine??

Options
I used to eat these alot a long time ago and I thought they were pretty good. I am currently working and have been eating a lean ham & fat free american cheese sandwich on 35 calorie whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp of Light Mircale Whip. So I don't get burned out on these, some of you who have been dieting long than I have, can you tell me if these are healthy for you? I mean I know they are healthier than eating fast food, but are they really good for you? I so want to do this right but am flying by the seat of my pants here. Any other suggestions for something quick and easy?

Replies

• pbell
    pbell Posts: 15
    Options
    i started eating these as a way for my body to readjust to proper portion sizes and they are ok every once in a while since they still are kind of high in calories fat salt and sugar. as long as its not every day i would think they would be ok.
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've read on previous posts here before that they are better than eating fast food...but that they have a lot of sodium in them...so you just need to keep an eye out for that.
  • caitlinmottl
    Options
    lean cuisines are pretty good dietary options, especially the ones with no preservatives. I find the most satisfying are their panini sandwichs, the meal options sound good but after heated they can be a bit dissapointing. but try em out and see what ya like, and maybe with the paninis add a lil snack baggy of fruits or veggies (:
  • JustForMe27
    Options
    Here's the thing that I have found with anything like that... It is pretty much guaranteed to be loaded with sodium! So while they are easy on the calories they still get you with the sodium!. I would recommend taking a day and just cooking a few meals that you can portion out and freeze. Good luck, hope I answered your question. :)
  • kate1398
    Options
    Tuna is a good option if you like it. I mix my tuna with mustard instead of mayo and I really like it.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would say as a back up it would be okay. I've done that in the past. Emergency rush meal at work or at home.

BUT I have really been watching my sodium intake, so I don't eat them at all. I think watching your sodium is really important when you are trying to eat healthy and for weight loss. Any processed foods or frozen meals like that may seem more convenient, but they really aren't as healthy.

In the long run, I'd say it would be healthier to just make your own lunches from clean foods and less processed.
  • tao223
    tao223 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines are pretty delicious. There are so many different kinds that your bound to find one that you like. Many of them are low fat and low in calories. The only downside is that they are high in salt content. However not everyone is affected by too much salt, you know your body best. I recently had a new lean cuisine market creation, You put the bag in the microwave and have the bag steamed. The portion is the whole bag which is about the same at the boxed meals and they taste better than the box ones. Give them a try and let me know how you like them! :-)
  • klwa
    klwa Posts: 61
    Options
    I used to eat them, too, but I have to admit, I'm not a fan any more. I try to stay totally away from processed foods, if at all possible. They tend to have way too much sodium and hidden sugars. Something has to make them taste good in order for them to have so few calories, right? What about peanut butter (the real kind, not Jif or Skippy) and apples? Easy to take to work if you have a refrigerator there, and SO good for you! Or you could make up a salad with some whole wheat crackers on the side. Either way, you'd be getting in some fruits/veggies.
  • MsTrudy66
    MsTrudy66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally don't buy them. 1. They can be expensive, unless on sale or using coupons. 2. They don't teach me how to choose healthy, wholesome foods. 3. Anything in a box or bag has preservatives in it. (so I haven't checked the box, but I'm just assuming Lean Cuisine does.) I am making an effort to eat natural, wholesome foods either from the fruit/veg aisle, or frozen bags of fruits/vegs and cooking from recipes. I would just be careful about relying on a boxed meal that's already prepared, and think more about making meals from scratch, unless it is to take to work and heat up for lunch. Good luck!
  • ruralhipster
    ruralhipster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It gets to the point where you will pick any package and the first thing you look at on the nutrition info is the sodium, then the calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, not healthy at all. Like you said better than fast food, but not by much. Just because something is low in calories does not make it healthy. Many low cal versions of foods are less healthy than their full fat cousins as well.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients, if there are things in there that you can't pronounce, additives or fillers (many of these "prepared" type of foods have "corn" fillers present) then don't eat them.
    Losing weight is not just about the scale, it is about your health as well. I have adopted a very "clean" diet and no longer consume anything prepared like these.

I cooked an extra big chicken breast with our dinner last night, half was sliced for my husband's sandwich for lunch and the other half is for my salad. Took me about 5 minutes to throw my lunch together before I left the house for work this morning. Including the dressing my HUGE salad is more filling and much less calories than a lean cuisine, plus I won't be gaining water weight from a ton of sodium.

Since I have made sure to plan our food ahead of time my results have been much better because everything is made by my hands so I know what is in it.

The one day in the last number of months that I didn't get a chance to take my lunch (I actually left it sitting on the kitchen table) I popped into subway and got a roasted chicken breast 6" on whole wheat with NO dressing or sauce, just a ton of veggies. This was still less calories than a lean cuisine and less sodium.

I am definately not a fan of anything processed!
  • addie807
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with any kind of tv dinner. they are nasty and processed food. Even if it's "lean cuisine" . A cooked meal is the best way to go. You control what goes in it. So you know how much fat, calories, etc is going in it. And you know what exact ingredients go into it.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have to say as a working mother of two, I like the convenience of Lean Cuisine's. I eat them a couple of times a week for lunch and I'm never over my sodium intake for the day unless I pair it with soda or eat something else with a lot of sodium. I try to look for the ones that are lower in sodium and calories.

However, I also to make extra portions of dinner so that I can take that to work. I also will have tuna or make a salad to take to work as well, so I'm not relying on Lean Cuisines all the time.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I think they're great to stock up on for lunches for work to avoid going out for fast food etc. It keeps your portions controlled, calories down quite a bit compared to what you COULD be eating, and it's relatively inexpensive especially if you hit a good sale.
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    They are fine to eat - just watch your sodium intake, or drink extra extra water for the day when you eat them. I eat them for lunch/ or breakfast pretty much every single day. Some of them have lower sodium and if you go online, and google for lower sodium - I know they make lower sodium ones.
  • mayana2002
    Options
    I have them as plan B. I think some have a lot of calories... If you couldn't cook and there is no good place to buy a light lunch nearby your work, go for it. Will not kill you and in 1-2 days the sodium will be flushed out of your system. Drink a lot of water. I buy othe brands, Lean Cuisine tates funny for me... I don't really like them.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a good option if you like it. I mix my tuna with mustard instead of mayo and I really like it.

Do you still put eggs and pickle in it or just the tuna and egg?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with any kind of tv dinner. they are nasty and processed food. Even if it's "lean cuisine" . A cooked meal is the best way to go. You control what goes in it. So you know how much fat, calories, etc is going in it. And you know what exact ingredients go into it.

A good cooked meal at say McDonalds?
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    With all this talk about sodium intake...how much is recommended? I have no idea what to even stay under.