Thoughts on doing things or buying things "on the cheap"

mr_ashley
mr_ashley Posts: 46
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I'm a pretty frugal person. We live on one income in my household, which is mine, and glad to have it. I drive an Acura with a billion miles on it, and the wife drives a Honda with just a little less than a billion on it.

I don't buy my clothes at Saks, though I like their stuff. I'd like to have personally tailored suits and shirts, but instead, I try to buy athletic fit suits and shirts as they at least FIT better.

So, as many of us have had to pinch pennies during the economic downturn, I've seen lots of formerly expensive items and other expenditures that have been made more affordable. But travel to Europe is one that rarely ever is done cheaply. Airfares are what they are, and even on Priceline or on Expedia, you're paying a nice chunk of change. You can stay cheaply in Europe, unless you've seen the movie "Hostel", in which case, you'd rather stay a Holiday Inn.

I was looking at a cycling website that advertised a Spain trip for a week to do some winter training where the pro guys train. It was for about $570.00 USD. Sounds like a steal.

But here's my rub. There are just some things that I don't want to do, cheaply. Some things I don't want to have in my possession, cheaply. Why, you ask? Because of negative connotations that are associated with someone who travels at bargain rates, or buys a BWM with 250,000 miles on it, just because it has a BMW emblem on it. Not wanting to step on toes here, and perhaps some of you can enlighten me, but anytime I've done something that is offered at a bargain rate, or bought something at that bargain rate, but those rates are usually higher, I really dislike the treatment or nose-down attitude of the salesperson or clerk or anyone else.

Example: Go to an expensive restaurant and order water and the cheapest thing on the menu. Instantly, the waiter spends less time on you and in some cases, ignores you. Fly coach on a discount airliner. You get the worst kind of in-air service, usually. Buy the stripped down model of a nice car, and notice the lack of "love" you get from the sales guy and finance guy, if need be.

So, if the only way I can do it or have it is to do so at a cut-rate, bargain basement price, then I'll pass. I'll wait till I can get the pro athlete treatment, or pass altogether.

Then again, if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt on the ground.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I would just go. Do you really care that much about what other people think? Do you think they honestly wouldn't do the same thing?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    If they are offering the trip for such a bargain then perhaps they are in need of the money too and may be grateful that you sign up. :smile:

I'm sure they would take more money if you offered it to them. :laugh:
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    I'm frugal and never thought about what other people think. In high school I used to work weekends even though I didn't have too. I used to only go to clubs in college where girls drank free. My friends thought I was crazy until I bought my first home at 19 and my second at 21. I agree with you that you shouldn't try to get a deal if you are going to 'get what you pay for' and have to suffer bad service and inconveniences on a trip. Live within your means and I you will find out what it means to live.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Example: Go to an expensive restaurant and order water and the cheapest thing on the menu. Instantly, the waiter spends less time on you and in some cases, ignores you.

I KNOW! And I'm always too soft to be a jerk with tip, so I end up getting crappy service *and* giving a good tip. :angry:

As far as the trip, I guess you could do some homework (make extra sure it's a credible tour company) and go for it--I mean, it's Europe, so there are fallback options (even if they're expensive, it's not like you'll be stranded in the middle of some random wilderness), and if it turns out to be as great a deal as it sounds (which could very well be the case--I've heard that Europe can be really cheap in the winter) then everyone will think you're awesome for being so fiscally responsible. Besides, if you're really into cycling, I've heard amazing things about Spain, so it might be worth enduring the attitude (if there is any) for the payoff of an amazing trip...
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    I am frugal too and I really could careless about what people think and as a waitress when you order water it makes the bill smaller and a large majority of people base the tip off the bill. So, a smaller bill a smaller tip (logically thinking). I tip based on service because I know a lot of places and many people dont realize waiters and waitresses some can make a regular hourly pay but others the unfortunate like me we get paid 2.13 an hour. I wait on anyone regardless because I expect good service so that is what I will give you. As for the cars I see that a lot. I work at an Acura dealership as well ironically. ( not that it means anything) I work around expensive cars and deal with people who believe they are better than you because they can afford expensive things. I look at it this way I get the things I want out of life, I enjoy it, I drive my car till its wheels fall off and everything you can get I can get for cheaper and it keeps me happy :)

Speaking as im in the USA. oops!
This discussion has been closed.