Shin splints, perhaps?

Options
I have noticed that while I am on the treadmill, the muscles on either sides of my shin will burn. Sometimes it's manageable and sometimes it's almost unbearable. I feel frustrated because I always feel like I could run for so much longer, if it weren't for this. I stretch carefully before working out... I stretch afterward... does anyone know of any way to prevent this? Are these shin splints and what causes this?

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    BAD SHOES... Get new shoes to help prevent them...

I've heard that doing some "walking backward" drill halp prevent them. But I dont' knwo for sure.
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe it would be shin splints.. I know them far too well! And unfortunately I don't think there's much that can be done about them, they just like to come and go when they please. Try putting a heating pad on them a couple times a day to kind of loosen everything, see if that helps! good luck!
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    Are you doing an incline?

Check your running shoes

try to break up your cadio to other machines if you are not already

Good luck
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would agree - make sure you have good shoes. My shin pain disappeared after I got good running shoes. In the meantime, aspercream does help alleviate the pain. Good luck!
  • Shin splints are normally more pain then a burn it sounds like you just may be working your legs a lot. I had shin splints for about 6 months and had to stop doing any running on the treadmill to get rid of them
  • grasp
    grasp Posts: 31
    Options
    Check into a different running style. I switched to fore-footed running and my shin splints went away, seemingly for good.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Get Poiysorb

Don't be quick to throw out the shoes. I used to get HORRIBLE shin splints. I did some research and found that I needed to change out my insoles. The insoles that come with a brand new pair of running shoes are super thin. i bought some Polysorb insoles at Big 5 Sporting Goods for under $20 and now I'm running several days a week. Pain free.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well, I just got some new shoes about a month ago because of the pain. And they have been absolutely fabulous when I'm walking or jogging outdoors, but they still come back on the treadmill.

SO frustrating!! :angry:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    If it is shin splints, it is often caused by an imbalance in strength between your calf muscles and the muscles in the front of your leg, or shins. While having the right pair of running shoes is essential if you have this or not, another important thing is to strengthen your shin muscles. To do this, when you are resting or relaxing at home, put your legs up on the couch so they are not bearing any weight. Flex your feet toward your nose and hold this position for 2 minutes, then relax for a minute. Repeat this 3-5 times and do this for several days in a row. You can also do this when sitting at your desk at work. Just stretch your legs out in front of you and flex your feet for 2 minutes etc. Doing this will strengthen your calf muscles. It worked wonders for me and now I never have shin splints. Good luck!
    Risa
  • Squash97
    Options
    Something to look into. I used to dance and they thought that I had really bad shin splints until it got to the point where I had to crawl up and down the stairs in my house because of the pain. Turns out I have Anterior Compartment Syndrom, where the lining of the muscle is too small for the muscle itself. As you excercise, muscles fill with blood and swell when they work causing the pain to get worse. That muscle is still very developed in my legs, but if I avoid certain things, I don't have the pain. Things that trigger it: walking up an incline or walking long distances. I have found that when walking I have to flex my foot - working that muscle, and an incline can cause me a lot of pain the next day. However; if I run, I use my quadriceps to lift up my leg and land more on the balls of my feet, instead of my heels, so that muscle doesn't get used as much, and I've never had issues. I would pay attention to what you are doing when you get the pain and figure out how long it lasts. My pain would last for a couple of days at least because I had to wait for the infalamation to go down. I'm not sure about shin splints, but I'm thinking the pain is more during the workout a short time after.... hope this helps!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I hAd this issue when I first started out on the treadmill. Same situation as you, the pain held me back from doing more! I got new shoes specifically for running...still, was in pain. I decided to change what I was doing. I set my incline to 0 and brought my speed down a bit. In the mean time, I worked on strengthening those muscles during the day, you can do it while sitting or laying. Sit with your legs in front of you, feet on the floor, then just bring up your toes while keeping your heels on the ground, hold as long as possible and repeat a few times. I did that several times a day and still do. I also took a week off doing the treadmill and stuck to the elliptical when changing the incline and speed didn't work. I no longer have any pain, I really think it's those exercises! Just my 2 cents on what worked for me!

Good luck to you!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    "Shin splints" is a catchall term for various types of tendinitis that affects the anterior part of the lower leg. Since there are a number of causes, there is no one solution that will work for everyone.

If your shoes are old, that's an obvious first place to start. You can go to a specialty running store and they can look at your gait and maybe make some suggestions.

If you are "speed walking" you can try lowering the speed and walking slower at a steeper incline.

It might just be a case of too much too soon, in which case, stopping the treadmill until the symptoms subside and going back to it very gradually could work.

In more persistent cases, it is necessary to see a therapist to analyze your gait in more detail.
  • cferstat
    cferstat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints .. two things helped me. Run on the elliptical instead of the treadmill .. no impact, no shin splints (for me at least). Then I also went to a podiatrist and got some insoles made which helped a lot. Now I'm alternating elliptical and treadmill and happy with that.

Cheers,
    Cam.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    If it is shin splints, it is often caused by an imbalance in strength between your calf muscles and the muscles in the front of your leg, or shins. While having the right pair of running shoes is essential if you have this or not, another important thing is to strengthen your shin muscles. To do this, when you are resting or relaxing at home, put your legs up on the couch so they are not bearing any weight. Flex your feet toward your nose and hold this position for 2 minutes, then relax for a minute. Repeat this 3-5 times and do this for several days in a row. You can also do this when sitting at your desk at work. Just stretch your legs out in front of you and flex your feet for 2 minutes etc. Doing this will strengthen your calf muscles. It worked wonders for me and now I never have shin splints. Good luck!
    Risa

Yes, I agree with this. My podiatrist said shin splints can be avoided by strengthening the muscles in your lower legs. (Inserts too!) He also recommended a minimal running shoe to use a couple times a week to build strength, but that would probably be helpful after healing.