MFP Calories burned?

Options
I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere else, I haven't seen anything about it.

It just seems like whenever I log my activity in MFP, the calories burned are much higher than what the machine says. I did 40 mins elliptical yesterday and the machine something like 325, but MFP said it was 390ish.

Who should I believe?!

Thanks

Replies

• melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Believe your machine, is my opinion. It will know how fast you were going, what incline, what level, etc.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that the only way for accurately count calories burned is to use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I recommend Polar products. :)
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your age and weight into the mahine? If you did I would most def. go with the machine as it knows exactly how hard you worked!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I will say this much, whenever I use my HRM on ANY machine: The machine is ALWAYS wrong. I've always burned way more. However this info is unique to me. The only way to tell for you is to wear a HRM. THAT will tell you how hard you worked. The machine doesn't keep track of your heart rate unless you constantly update it with your pulse. An elliptical I can sometimes burn nearly double the number on the machine. Its an awesome calorie smasher! :o)
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow that's good to know. It always seemed like I was burning more, but I never knew for sure... I love elliptical!