loose skin

Options
Hey everybody, Hope your day is going good !! I am 23 years old, when i stareted i weighed 229 I am now at 169. I notice that my skin isnt tighten as i would like it to. I talked with a plastic surgeron he said my only way was to get it cut off. My personal trainer said i am young it will go back t normal. Do anyone else have this problem? Thanks Alison

Replies

• wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of loose skin from my two pregnancies -- it's getting better as my abs are getting stronger. I honestly don't know if it will go completely away.

I do know that the plastic surgeon has a vested interest in telling you it's hopeless without paying him thousands of dollars to cut it off!

Give it time and see what happens. =)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've read a few posts like this...apparently strength training is the way to go. You are definately young and it will tighten up for ya. Not over night, but if your consistant it will firm up! Good Luck! Also i read if you lose weight quickly that happens...so give your body time to catch up. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • urban479
    Options
    No way that doctor was just trying to make money. Your super young and your skin will be fine. If you keep the weight off and tone yourself it will go back. Your personal trainer is right. If you were 40 I might seek out plastic surgery, but not at 23. Hang tight, be patient, you'll see! Great job!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    No way that doctor was just trying to make money. Your super young and your skin will be fine. If you keep the weight off and tone yourself it will go back. Your personal trainer is right. If you were 40 I might seek out plastic surgery, but not at 23. Hang tight, be patient, you'll see! Great job!

Everybody is different. I had to have 4 surgeries (tummy tuck, male breast reduction, neck lift, arm lift). I know I lost a lot of weight, but many people who lose a significant amount of weight will have a hard time tightening up without surgery.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and have less loose skin than I did when I lost weight when I was in my mid 20's! I've been losing slowly & building strength, toning & firming in the last year. I am proud to say that when summer hits, I won't be afraid to wear short shorts & a bikini without covering up my *kitten* :tongue:
    A couple things that I also have done along the way, is use a couple firming creams - best time is within 3 minutes of getting out the shower when your skin is highly responsive to moiturizer. St. Ives has a Firming & Cellulite Control cream & I've also been using Jergens Natural Glow with Firming (so my skin has some colour to it). Just as a side note, I spent about 10 yrs of my life using tanning beds to get colour to my skin - I've stopped using them (which is why I use Jergens Natural Glow) and with all the sun damage, my skin STILL looks better than it did.

It will take time, nothing will heal it overnight. So as long as you're patient, add toning/strengthening exercises into your routine and some good moisturizers (St. Ives is around $4) you'll "snap" back - ESPECIALLY at your age!

Congrats on the loss & good luck on firming :flowerforyou:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Everybody is different. I had to have 4 surgeries (tummy tuck, male breast reduction, neck lift, arm lift). I know I lost a lot of weight, but many people who lose a significant amount of weight will have a hard time tightening up without surgery.

First of all WOW! You all rock!! I have never been over 200lbs, but i'm short and i'm older. At 35 years old I lost 35 lbs fast and had some saggy skin, but I had carried 3 babies to term and it was not noticable enough to bother for me. Bat wings, yes, chin wobble, yes, and the baby sack empty pouch that was just hanging there empty, but nothing huge enough to not fit into my clothes or move around. Now 49 years old this week I lost 30lbs and same story, more to loose still, but my old lady turkey gobble isn't more gobbly than it was enough to worry about. Bat arms are flapp'in but not too bad to worry over.

If you do you might want to wait until you are finished, and with some good toning time included. Maybe the doctor is wrong. He is guessing, you haven't had babies? You are very young and elastic! Maybe you should wait and see, then decide. Shop around real good for a "good" one, too.
  • Dittz81
    Dittz81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is amazing !!! Did you have the procedures after you were at your goal weigh? I still wanna lose like maybe 25 to 30 pounds. I am just nervous about finding the right doctor. HOw did you pick yours?
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I wasn't at goal, but about 25lbs away from it. My doctor was very patient with me and wanted me to lose as much as I could. If I were you I would visit a couple doctors just to see what they have to say.

People on here assume young = skin will "tone" with working out. It kind of bothers me how people can give advice when they have no idea what they are talking about. I researched my *kitten* off about the whole loose skin issue and talked to 3 plastic surgeons. You need actual doctors opinions. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

It doesn't help to talk to more doctors.
  • Runlily
    Runlily Posts: 10
    Options
    You're still pretty young, maybe try out the alternatives? but I'm not sure because a lot is with genetics..

I know rapid weight loss causes loose skin. You should aim to lose your next 25 gradually, like 1/2 lb per week.

That means it'll be a year to reach your goal weight.. but that'll help prevent getting loose skin.

:) hope it helps.
  • Dittz81
    Dittz81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you !! I will keep you in mind. You are a strong person for going thur all of that at once i heard it is painful, but well worth it.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    oops, I meant it doesn't hurt to talk to more doctors lol

I was in bad pain the first day or so, but it really goes away fast. They give you meds for that. I'd do it in a heartbeat if the pain lasted for months.