Lower Back pains when Running

Options
I am having an issue when I run my lower back is just killing me.

I make sure I am running with a straight back, shoulders back and head straight.

Is there anything I can do or is my form not correct???

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Jenn421
    Jenn421 Posts: 56
    Options
    i messed my back up a few years ago and runing and exercsing was very hard. i bought a pair of fitness shoes (payless is a lot cheaper) and they help my back a lot! hope it helps!
  • claireM74
    Options
    Firstly I'd advise making sure you get a gait analysis in a good running shop - and then good running shoes! It could be that you have weak core-stability - try clenching your abs while your un. And lastly - if it continues - get advice - it could be something you need to get fixed by a physiotherapist or osteopath... If you continue to run thrugh the pain you could do yourself long-term damage.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    is it an injury? I strained my low back this summer (that will teach me to do yard work :) but it will act up on me. Sometimes when running. You can do a combination of ice (15 minutes) then heat 15 minutes. do this a couple of times. It tends to help me. I also use a heating pad when it tightens up. After a bit of heat I will stretch it. I also get massages every couple of weeks.

But first you have to determine if it is strained or pulled. Go to the doc first to find out.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Firstly I'd advise making sure you get a gait analysis in a good running shop - and then good running shoes! It could be that you have weak core-stability - try clenching your abs while you run.
    I was going to suggest the same thing! :-D Find the RIGHT shoe! and the core as well. Best of luck!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Running store ---> gait analysis

For the love of God, do not get sneakers at Payless for running. Flats are fine. Sneakers that are cheaply made will never do your running or your body any good.
  • GirlPower1018
    Options
    I actually have New Balance shoes that were fit to my gait and stability. I do the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the cure. I am on my 3rd pair of 1064's in less than a year. I know the shoes are a perfect fit. I think I may need to go to the DR. I just wanted to make sure I was using the correct form.
    I have back pain some morning when I wake up also so it must be something to have a DR look at.

Thank you everyone.

Vicki
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I found the book ChiRunning, what a godsend. It's a program that addresses many of the running related issues as to form and stops the problems before they start. My guess is it in in your direction your foot is pointed (should be straight forward in ChiRunning) or in your pelvis rotation. There are also support boards to ask certified instructors. I love the ChiRunning program and think everyone can benefit from a little mindful running. Best of Luck.