glycemic index

Options
Does anyone here consider the glycemic index when picking foods? My mother and I have been talking alot about this.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I definitely do!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I do to an extent.

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that glycemic indeces of many foods, especially things like pasta and rice, drastically DECREASE when proteins are added. If there is a food that is considered high on the glycemic index, I simply eat it with a healthy portion of protein.

Like pasta...pasta with marinara (or veggie style pasta) is much MUCH higher on the index than plain ol' spagetti and meatballs.

As far as fruits and veggies on the index, I don't worry about it too much since there are so many minerals and vitamins in them that we need a variety...and I don't like to eat the same thing all the time unless it's strawberries (cause I love them to death!).
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I do to an extent.

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that glycemic indeces of many foods, especially things like pasta and rice, drastically DECREASE when proteins are added. If there is a food that is considered high on the glycemic index, I simply eat it with a healthy portion of protein.

Like pasta...pasta with marinara (or veggie style pasta) is much MUCH higher on the index than plain ol' spagetti and meatballs.

As far as fruits and veggies on the index, I don't worry about it too much since there are so many minerals and vitamins in them that we need a variety...and I don't like to eat the same thing all the time unless it's strawberries (cause I love them to death!).

Thanks!

If anyone else has any pointers like this please share! hear to learn!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Does anyone here consider the glycemic index when picking foods? My mother and I have been talking alot about this.

It depends on what your reason for doing so is.

I keep it in the back of my mind but I don't give it too much thought because the glycemic index isn't an accurate judge of food for several reasons including, as mentioned above, that the glycemic index is based on a food taken on an empty stomach with nothing else... and that's now how we eat. Additionally, the glycemic index doesn't reliably predict insulin response, which is the bigger issue. It also fails to account for other factors such as nutritional value, satiety, etc. Potatoes, for example, are vilified under the glycemic index but they are a great source of potassium, vitamins, starches, etc.

I try to focus my attention more on the quality of the food itself: minimally processed and natural will always be better than processed.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    it is a great thing to keep in mind but i don't let it limit my food choices. it does help me to be more aware though, especially with fruit.
  • onmyway1101
    onmyway1101 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am actually on a low glycemic index diet. Some call it the red yellow green light diet.

Red Foods- Foods you avoid
    Yellow Foods- Foods you eat occasionally
    Green Foods- Foods you eat all the time.

I really like it. I eat alot of lean meats, fruits and vegetables. Egg whites. I do treat myself to sugar free pudding and jello. (Which is allowed)
    I have been doing this for 2 weeks and have already lost 11 pounds.

I am still researching it to get a better knowledege.

Nicole