Panama City Beach Florida

sculley
sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
Anyone ever been there or lived there? If so is there things for kids to do and was it a nice area. It's almost 2 1/2 hours from my home town but I have never really been there.

Replies

• sculley
    Anyone ever been there or lived there? If so is there things for kids to do and was it a nice area. It's almost 2 1/2 hours from my home town but I have never really been there.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    As a former Floridian (but it has been awhile) I'm originally from Homestead Air Force Base so I may be wrong but I think it is just okay. It still beats Indiana, where I am:smile: Kid friendly? Umm...maybe the beaches. It is a big partytown like Daytona. It does not have the most beautiful beaches but is close to some like in Pensacola. There you have a great zoo, Perdido Key (which is one of the top 20 most beautiful beaches in the US according to experts) and lots of other stuff. Also in Pensacola, you can check out the Blue Angels which totally are the whole reason I am excited to go in a week. Too cool.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    That's a few minutes from me...

What kind of fun are you looking for? Wild nights and summer parties? MTV films there sometimes during Easter break. However, there are great family places to eat all along the beach, Destin has fantabulous shopping, and right now the weather is wonderful.

When are you coming this way and where is your hometown?

How fun!
  • sculley
    I am originally from Pensacola florida. It's funny how you guys mentioned some things I think Pensacola beach is prettier than predido key. I was wondering because if I do not get accepted to work with the blue angels I was going to put in a billet for panama city florida. I want to take my son to the beaches, camping and stuff like that but I probably would be spending most of my weekends in pensacola with my family.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    From being in MANY places in the area, choose Destin/Fort Walton Beach if you have kids and want to do things with them at the beach!

Its MUCH MUCH better!

Love Pensacola! Was a REGULAR at Flounders!
  • sculley
    From being in MANY places in the area, choose Destin/Fort Walton Beach if you have kids and want to do things with them at the beach!

Its MUCH MUCH better!

Love Pensacola! Was a REGULAR at Flounders!

I recommend peg legs pete's that place is my favorite!!!

Not seeing any billets for that area was surprised just to see one for Panama city.
  • SoupNazi
    UMMM.......not sure why you asked then, sounds like you already know.....
    {{{{{CONFUSED)))))))
    Whatever:indifferent:

I also think Destin is whitetrashville...IMO
  • sculley
    UMMM.......not sure why you asked then, sounds like you already know.....
    {{{{{CONFUSED)))))))
    Whatever:indifferent:

I also think Destin is whitetrashville...IMO

Nope still weighing options there is a chance I wont get that billet either. I just wanted to know people's opinion that have lived or spent time in Panama city.
  • sculley
    As a former Floridian (but it has been awhile) I'm originally from Homestead Air Force Base so I may be wrong but I think it is just okay. It still beats Indiana, where I am:smile: Kid friendly? Umm...maybe the beaches. It is a big partytown like Daytona. It does not have the most beautiful beaches but is close to some like in Pensacola. There you have a great zoo, Perdido Key (which is one of the top 20 most beautiful beaches in the US according to experts) and lots of other stuff. Also in Pensacola, you can check out the Blue Angels which totally are the whole reason I am excited to go in a week. Too cool.

Have fun watching the blue angels, being that I had the pleasure of doing a 4 working day interview with them they work REALLY hard and as you see they play hard as well. They are a great group of people to meet, you will throughly enjoy it.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    I play a lot of volleyball.

I enjoyed Flounders having tournaments every night of the week with no entry fee (he used us for entertainment for his restaurant), and gave out $100 first place and a $50 bar tab for second!

Also enjoyed going to Joe Patti's and ordering a bunch of fish that had JUST been cleaned and having people over for a shrimp boil or fish on the grill!
  • SoupNazi

Have fun watching the blue angels, being that I had the pleasure of doing a 4 working day interview with them they work REALLY hard and as you see they play hard as well. They are a great group of people to meet, you will throughly enjoy it.

That must have been SO exciting! I can't wait....:happy:
  • sculley

That must have been SO exciting! I can't wait....:happy:

It was extremely exciting and such a great honor to atleast be chosen to go for an interview but I wont know the results for another couple of weeks. I have always loved Blue Angels ever since I was alittle girl.
  • sculley
    I play a lot of volleyball.

I enjoyed Flounders having tournaments every night of the week with no entry fee (he used us for entertainment for his restaurant), and gave out $100 first place and a $50 bar tab for second!

Also enjoyed going to Joe Patti's and ordering a bunch of fish that had JUST been cleaned and having people over for a shrimp boil or fish on the grill!

I just love food in general!!! lol Peg leg pete's is right on pensacola beach and it's just a laid back atmosphere, i love their fried oysters just simply amazing!!
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    :bigsmile: Let's see-
    the zoo is better in Gulf Breeze
    The Gulfarium is better in Fort Walton Beach
    St. Andrews State park in Panama City is Great
    I like Big Kahuna's in Destin better than Shipwrek in PCB
    Pirate ship cruise was fun for the kids in PCB
    Kids Museum in PCB is free (science, history)
    Indian temple Mound in FWB
    Pensacola has the Naval Air Museum
    Fort Walton Beach has the Armenment Museum
    Camping is everywhere (we camp once a month somewhere in the the lower states)
    Taekwondo is great in Crestview, Niceville, Fort Walton Beach, Defuniak Springs, Panama City (tournament every year in PCB)
    :bigsmile:
  • sculley
    :bigsmile: Let's see-
    the zoo is better in Gulf Breeze
    The Gulfarium is better in Fort Walton Beach
    St. Andrews State park in Panama City is Great
    I like Big Kahuna's in Destin better than Shipwrek in PCB
    Pirate ship cruise was fun for the kids in PCB
    Kids Museum in PCB is free (science, history)
    Indian temple Mound in FWB
    Pensacola has the Naval Air Museum
    Fort Walton Beach has the Armenment Museum
    Camping is everywhere (we camp once a month somewhere in the the lower states)
    Taekwondo is great in Crestview, Niceville, Fort Walton Beach, Defuniak Springs, Panama City (tournament every year in PCB)
    :bigsmile:

Thanks!!!:heart:
  • ErinB
    ErinB Posts: 25 Member
    Seashell Island
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    I learned something interesting the other day at the FWB science center.

Did you know that the reason our beaches are the beautiful white sand is because the quartz from the Appellation Mountains lands here. If you notice, the sand towards Mobile is not as brilliant white, nor is it as lovely going south. The rock moves all around and to us! The squeaky noise you hear when you walk is because the sand had been ground so perfectly on its journey that it is now perfectly round and rubs against each other when walked on. Interesting.

So for kids, maybe head to the science center too!
  • sculley
    I learned something interesting the other day at the FWB science center.

Did you know that the reason our beaches are the beautiful white sand is because the quartz from the Appellation Mountains lands here. If you notice, the sand towards Mobile is not as brilliant white, nor is it as lovely going south. The rock moves all around and to us! The squeaky noise you hear when you walk is because the sand had been ground so perfectly on its journey that it is now perfectly round and rubs against each other when walked on. Interesting.

So for kids, maybe head to the science center too!

I did not know that about the sand! thanks for sharing, your awesome
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    oops- I had forgotten the Science Center

With three kids, girl scouts and boy scouts- I have been a lot of places in this area.

Dothan,AL has a good living history museum
    Wakala Springs is not too far (Tallahassee)
    Marianna Caverns

There is just so much around here- we even had a humpback whale this last weekend! Even the whales like to visit here:laugh: