how to get motivated after work

Options
Hello everyone , I really need help, i'm on day four and the diet is going well, but i'm struggling with the exericise part of my day. Like most of us I work long days and can't find the motivation to go via the gym on the way home.

I would welcome any home work out ideas or way's to trick my brain that the gym isn't all that bad!

Thanks Mel xx

Replies

• eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    getting tot he gym is the hardest part, once you are there it feels great!

You just have to force yourself to go, or wakeup early and go before work and get it overwith!
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it took me a while to get into a routine. I always pack my gym bag and have it in the car so I have no excuse, at least none other than I just don't want to. Try to force yourself to go for a few days because you will see how good you feel when you leave! I never want to go, but love how I feel after. I always tend to have so much more energy to do things at home after the gym than if I had just gone home.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Try AM workouts instead. I used to go to the gym after work - I wasn't losing, I was "holding" and I was getting home so late & eating dinner so late I was nullifying everything I did at the gym. On weekends & off days, the gym is a 45 min drive from my house & I didn't want to waste the gas for just an hour workout.

So, December 2009 I started waking up an hour before I needed to shower & get ready for work to workout: a year later I have exceded my own expectations & my original goals (I had lost 22 lbs but gained 4 back recently: I've lost a couple more so the rest should disapear again!) My motivation is KNOWING that when I workout in the AM I get my body, mind & metabolism in gear for the day & I know how much I can eat without the mentality of eating during the day thinking "well I'll earn it back if I workout tonight" and then possibly not being able to workout that night.

Find your niche - it may take a little extra kick in the rearend, but you CAN DO THIS :flowerforyou:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I have to get my work out in BEFORE work or it just doesn't happen.

This is my schedule:

4:30 wake up
    5-6:15 Gym (spin or lift)
    7:30-4 Work
    4:30-9 Class
    9-?? Study
    ?? Sleep

It sucks to wake up so early but once you are there you feel great. After about a week and a half waking up isnt so hard. I do pack my lunch and my clothes before I go to bed so there is less to do in the morning.

Good luck.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    getting tot he gym is the hardest part, once you are there it feels great!

You just have to force yourself to go, or wakeup early and go before work and get it overwith!

Agreed--the hardest part for me is actually getting there... usually halfway through my warmup I'm at least a little more at peace with the idea of working out, and there's nothing like the feeling after a good butt-kicking workout!
  • nickicaylor
    Options
    21 Days to a habit ! Keep it up and force yourself into the gym. If you work out at home you more than likely won't work out as hard as you would at the gym
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    You can get some DVDs to work out at home if you don't feel like going to the gym. :)
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem, but I find that I get sooo much more done at home after a good workout. I take the bus to and from work, so all I have to do is get off the bus. That small step is super hard some days. When I'm getting ready to leave work, I just try to give myself a pep talk and set my goal to simply, "get off the bus". The rest usually takes care of itself. Lol.
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    My wife and I have 2 small children and both work

Think of it as me time...try to keep it as me time

You will thank yourself

We do our best in the am..That way your are taking care of yourself before anyone else.
  • tashasbaby
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning on my wii fit and various games, and if need to go upstairs( and I've got the time) i run up and them a few times before getting what i need lol
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and I'm not "allowed" to have dinner until I've done my workout! Makes me get it over with so I can eat!
  • kimmyb1213
    Options
    I tend to go before work. I am a sleeper and hated getting up at 6:00 to work out but eventually you get used to it. I find that working out early not only wakes you up but keeps me motivated throughout the day, it also helps me stay on track with my diet.
  • Svmolina
    Options
    Evening work-outs are the hardest. Oh dear....it takes a lot of energy to do it but it can be done. But, if you are finding it very impossible...think about doing it in the morning before going to work. Even then it's hard but what helped me for a long while (it's going to sound funny) is that I slept with my gym clothes on. I would only need to put on my shoes and a sweatshirt in the morning. As soon as the alarm would sound I would not allow myself to think.....(cuz when you think about it....oh dear....there are so many excuses)...I would just rise, get my things on, grab my bag and leave. Sure, I still had the pillow markings on my face when I would arrive to the gym but that was just something I cared less. :happy:
  • mellissacase
    Options
    Thanks everyone its been great to hear everyone's advise. From what you've said the key thing is morning exercise I hadn't thought of that. I sometimes work 12 - 15 hour days so no wander I don't want to do anything after that. Checking my gym opening times as we speak.

Good Luck everyone and thanks again

Mel x
  • chevysarah
    Options
    I know the feeling... except at the moment I work out at home which is even worse! Its hard to work out after a long day when the couch is in the same room!

To get myself pumped and get my motivation up I do 2 things.... on the drive home I make sure and pump some fast and loud kind of music... not just the same stuff I listen to durriing my work out, but anything that I love that makes me feel good. Helps me forget about work and get back to "myself"!
    And before leaving work, I will go on to the self magazine website or exercise tv and watch some videos or check out some work out photos... it helps get my head in the game and gets me more excited to work out!

Good luck :glasses:
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Get up early, get out of bed, look in the mirror then decide if you should go work out or go back to bed. My answer would be 'work out' every time! :laugh: