calorie intake/exercise

Options
melnem
melnem Posts: 26 Member
Hi! I'm new at MFP and i have a question. If your goal is to lose weight, do you eat the extra calories that you burned from exercise? What is a good net calorie intake for the day? I'm so confused! Please help.

Replies

• doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You should likely eat at least some of them back as your body needs them to function............ I always eat at least half of them or I feel rough all day.
    The calories they give you are based on the amount of weight that you want to lose if you entered it correctly.
    Good luck!
  • Pattilynne
    Options
    from the beginning of time we are told that a "normal" intake is 2000 calories per day, and here its telling me that to lose the weight i want to lose, i can only take in 1200. i've noticed that once i put in what i normally do all day for exercise, it takes me back down calorie wise, and at the end of the day, if i have eaten more that 1200, but i log all the walking i do all day, it still says that i have finished my day under my goal. i used another website before and they calculated the same way.
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    if you want to lose lb 1per week you need to have a calorie deficit of 3500 over 7 days

so if you find you bmr (calories needed per day) mine is 2400 you eat atleast that many

if you excercise you add enough calories to cover that minus 500

so if my body uses say 2900 claories including excercise I should only eat 2400 calories
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    1200 cal/day should be your minimum Net calorie total.

If you exercise, your body used calories it would otherwise use for self-maintenance and need to be replaced. The big benefit to exercise is that it builds muscle which burns calories more efficiently and increases your heart/lung health which means more vital nutrients get to the organs that need it; resulting in a healthier you.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    3500 cal=1 lb. If you want to burn 1 lb of fat you need a deficit of 3500 cals which this site does for you-so don't eat any less than what it says. I don't necessarily think you need to eat those cals you burn off. If you burn an extra 3500 working out that is another lb lost.