Question about MFP

Options
Just a quick question, can you confirm if this is right?

MFP does not take into account your excercise routine when they give you your net calories?
I ask this because I do remember filling out a part where it asked how many days a week I plan on exercising and for how long, but am told to ensure my net calories are around the number they suggested (1200) - up until today I thought the 1200 calories included my 4-5 day a week work out and didnt understand why it gave me the calories back once I entered them :)

Replies

• Hannastyrbjorn
    Options
    I don't think they r counted for in ur kcals - that would be insane. MFP dont know what kind of exercise you will do from day to day or week to week. Or how fast you walk or slow u jog ;)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You are correct - those exercise goals are just goals to shoot for that show up on your exercise log. MFP only counts exercise when you actually log it as being done.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how active you told MFP you were on a daily basis. If you told it that you were active on a daily basis (if you included your exercise routine) you will get a higher calorie goal. If you told MFP that you were sedentary (did NOT include your exercise routine) you will get a lower goal. Any time you enter your exercise to your log you will get those calories added to your diary, and available should you choose to consume them.

THE PROBLEM: If you said ACTIVE (included your exercise) and got the higher goal, and then enter your exercise in your log, you essentially DOUBLE your exercise calories and will be at risk of over eatting.

THE SOLOUTION: 1. if you said you were active DON'T enter your exercise in the log and keep to the original calorie goal. *OR* 2. change your setting to sedentary, take the lower calorie goal, enter your exercise in the log and add in those calories to your diary and have them available to consume.

It is a personal choice as to which way you go. What you said you "intended" to do on a weekly basis have no effect on the calorie goals set by MFP.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You are correct - those exercise goals are just goals to shoot for that show up on your exercise log. MFP only counts exercise when you actually log it as being done.

Just to clarify - as MzBug said, MFP DOES take your "normal daily activity level" into account when calculating calories. You should not be including any exercise in this - this is how active you are at work, around the house, running errands, etc. I have a desk job and drive to/from work, so I am set at sedetary even though I workout 6 days a week. I log those workouts and earn extra calories, since they aren't included in my normal daily activity.

The exercise goals (X workouts a week for X minutes to burn X calories) are what I was referring to when I said they don't factor into your calorie goals - I assumed that's what you were referring to.
  • jenifer4
    Options
    perfect thanks everyone, I did mean exercise only.
    I work an office job so I put that I am not very active during the day etc...
    thanks!