Cleaning(Light/Moderate)(Heavy/Vigorous) What's the differen

Options
1235»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the sink doing dishes, or loading laundry in the washer, or sweeping, mopping, whatever, I'm playing some fast and loud music and dancing or jogging in place or stretching or something, so my version of cleaning does include exercise. While it's not "normal" exercise, I'm working up a sweat, my muscles burn and my heart rate is up. I count every bit of it too :)

So do I...

I have a desk job and only clean/do laundry on the weekends. Up and down stairs with baskets full of clothes, hanging them out if it's nice enough, scrubbing floors, changing bed, folding dozens of towels, carrying large boxes of bottles for canning etc.

I was on my feet from 9am until 5pm cooking and cleaning on sunday...that is not counted in my exercise journal.

Because I did that when I was fat too...I don't even count when I help someone move...

If it's not purposeful exercise that you plan to do for your health and you did it while you were heavier then you shouldn't count it...and if you do and you don't lose as fast you will know why.

ETA: I have a fitness tracker too and know exactly how many steps I take and calories I burn but I still don't count them but if my average steps are over 10k a day I make my activity level lightly active...not sedentary.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    . I'm having massive hair shedding issues and read that too low of a deficit could make that worse so I freaked and felt I needed more calories. My TDEE is around 2800. I don't record my exercise here or eat back my calories.

Was I cheating my body when I dropped my cals lower? Does it seem like I'm on the right path again with numbers now? Activity level seem correct? The 1900 range definitely helps with hunger and I'm hoping it will also help to minimize shedding (I've also sought med advice for the hair issues). I'd love to find a balance in which I don't end up fat and bald for the rest of my life.

ETA: I'm 245 and would like to get to a strong 160-165 or so.

Your TDEE is about 2800. You were eating 1600 calories. That is approximately a 43% calorie deficit. Way too aggressive, and as you found out, not healthy. A typical deficit should be 20%. The very obese can afford to take a bigger cut, with 85 pounds still to lose you might consider a 25% cut. So, 25% of 2800 would be 2100 calories per day. Don't eat back exercise calories. This % cut will have to get smaller when you get closer to goal weight.
    Hey thanks. I know the numbers don't lie and even a small deficit will get me there eventually, it's just hard to veer from quick fix/loss mode.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    . I'm having massive hair shedding issues and read that too low of a deficit could make that worse so I freaked and felt I needed more calories. My TDEE is around 2800. I don't record my exercise here or eat back my calories.

Was I cheating my body when I dropped my cals lower? Does it seem like I'm on the right path again with numbers now? Activity level seem correct? The 1900 range definitely helps with hunger and I'm hoping it will also help to minimize shedding (I've also sought med advice for the hair issues). I'd love to find a balance in which I don't end up fat and bald for the rest of my life.

ETA: I'm 245 and would like to get to a strong 160-165 or so.

Your TDEE is about 2800. You were eating 1600 calories. That is approximately a 43% calorie deficit. Way too aggressive, and as you found out, not healthy. A typical deficit should be 20%. The very obese can afford to take a bigger cut, with 85 pounds still to lose you might consider a 25% cut. So, 25% of 2800 would be 2100 calories per day. Don't eat back exercise calories. This % cut will have to get smaller when you get closer to goal weight.
    Hey thanks. I know the numbers don't lie and even a small deficit will get me there eventually, it's just hard to veer from quick fix/loss mode.

Change your thinking from "even a small deficit" to "20% is a healthy deficit". Unless you have a serious health issue where your doctor has ordered that you lose as much as possible as fast as possible, then it is just not worth the health issues you are causing by trying to drop it too quickly.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    even at 387lb i never counted cleaning as exercise

my level is set to sedentary

the only walking i count is if im out walking trails
    other than that my exercise consists of running, swimming, lifting and machines at the gym
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I only ever use light cleaning and that's when I am doing some serious cleaning, taking out of heavy bags of garbage, etc. Even then I only count half the time I do it and eat back maybe half of that. LOL I'm too afraid to over-estimate!

Losing 1-2 lbs a week at this point so I feel okay about it, but might change it more if that changes. :D
  • BestBodyBestHealth
    Options
    If you count cleaning your house as exercise, you don't understand exercise.

19brgg2irx9hggif.gif

Please don't count cleaning as exercise.
    Lyndsey, It looks like you like to hit exercise hard. That's good for you; it's your personal choice. I understand where you're coming from, as I was a professional athlete and 2-sport intercollegiate athlete. However, the meme you posted and the words you used, asserting that other people do not "understand exercise" because they are asking about counting housework, clearly speaks to your not undestanding people very well. I hope that you will please get a good grip, not just on the bar (or dumbbell) you're holding, but on the words you use in relation to others. Good luck in all you do. Be kind and understanding. In the end, it's your character, and not your body that matters. Actually, it's not just more important in the end, it's more important now, too. Don't let too many clean and jerks make you so proud that you start acting like a jerk.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hopefully they OP's house is clean now.

threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    If you want to cook the books in your exercise diary, feel free to do so. Don't forget you can log billiards, fishing, and playing darts too.

I have actually seen someone log "fishing" 1 hour...350 cals....lol.....smh! To each their own, but you're only kidding yourself if you log something that isn't accurate....and then in three months, when you haven't lost and can't understand why, this may be a part of the problem... Good luck!! xo
  • JustMissTracy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    When I'm at the sink doing dishes, or loading laundry in the washer, or sweeping, mopping, whatever, I'm playing some fast and loud music and dancing or jogging in place or stretching or something, so my version of cleaning does include exercise. While it's not "normal" exercise, I'm working up a sweat, my muscles burn and my heart rate is up. I count every bit of it too :)

So do I...

I have a desk job and only clean/do laundry on the weekends. Up and down stairs with baskets full of clothes, hanging them out if it's nice enough, scrubbing floors, changing bed, folding dozens of towels, carrying large boxes of bottles for canning etc.

I was on my feet from 9am until 5pm cooking and cleaning on sunday...that is not counted in my exercise journal.

Because I did that when I was fat too...I don't even count when I help someone move...

If it's not purposeful exercise that you plan to do for your health and you did it while you were heavier then you shouldn't count it...and if you do and you don't lose as fast you will know why.

ETA: I have a fitness tracker too and know exactly how many steps I take and calories I burn but I still don't count them but if my average steps are over 10k a day I make my activity level lightly active...not sedentary.

I count moving people...in four hours moving my daughter 18 floors in and out of elevator, I burned almost 1700 calories...this as per my HRM...why wouldn't we include that type of burn? (considering I'm set at sedentary, 1200 cals, you can believe I ate most of those back that day!)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    If you count cleaning your house as exercise, you don't understand exercise.

It depends on how much effort you put into cleaning.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

So do I...

I count moving people...in four hours moving my daughter 18 floors in and out of elevator, I burned almost 1700 calories...this as per my HRM...why wouldn't we include that type of burn? (considering I'm set at sedentary, 1200 cals, you can believe I ate most of those back that day!)

No! A HRM is for steady state cardio exercises. You should have been using an activity tracker like FitBit for tracking this. Your heart was still beating when you're riding the elevator up and down but you're not working. False calorie burn for sure.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Really? LOL...Sure wish you had been there that day, maybe my heart wouldn't have been beating so fast! (I didn't worry about the elevator ride, took moments...and I understated the move time, but your point is taken!)