Another exercise calories question...

Options
...no, I'm not going to ask if I should eat them :laugh:

I was wondering if they're worked out based on our individual weights, or if they are just general guidelines. I only weigh 119 pounds (I'm short!) and realise that I will burn less calories per hour than someone who weighs, say 150 pounds.

Does anyone know?

Replies

• IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ...no, I'm not going to ask if I should eat them :laugh:

I was wondering if they're worked out based on our individual weights, or if they are just general guidelines. I only weigh 119 pounds (I'm short!) and realise that I will burn less calories per hour than someone who weighs, say 150 pounds.

Does anyone know?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yes, they're based upon your weight.

It uses the latest weight that you have entered into MFP. HOWEVER!!! they are an estimated guess only and can vary widely--depending upon the amount of exercise you're doing. Most people here, including myself, recommend purchasing a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to obtain more accurate results.

Here's an example--I went for a 1 hour and 40 minute bike ride Saturday. According to MFP, I burnt over 1000 calories--but my HRM, which I go by now, read 620.

Hope it helps!
  • IndigoElectron
    Options
    Yes, that's helpful, thank you! I can honestly say I've never exercised this much in my life, having the extra calories is the best motivator ever! I shall keep an eye on things though, and bear in mind what you said about them being an estimate.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Yes, they're based upon your weight.

It uses the latest weight that you have entered into MFP. HOWEVER!!! they are an estimated guess only and can vary widely--depending upon the amount of exercise you're doing. Most people here, including myself, recommend purchasing a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to obtain more accurate results.

Here's an example--I went for a 1 hour and 40 minute bike ride Saturday. According to MFP, I burnt over 1000 calories--but my HRM, which I go by now, read 620.

Hope it helps!

I'm not sure. Some time ago I changed my weight to see if exercise calories change and they didn't...
    Let's test it:
    my current weight in MFP is 139, 60minutes of "swimming, sidestroke, general" is 505 calories.
    Can anyone with different weight check this one?
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    My current MFP weight is 229- with the breast stroke I would have burned 1034 calories in 60 mins. I cannot do it that long!!!!:noway:
  • IndigoElectron
    Options
    My current weight is 119, 60 minutes of the general sidestroke would burn 432 calories which would be wonderful but I also would never be able to do it for that long!

I'm assuming the calories burned are for continuous exercise, so I've had to factor in rest breaks. For example, I did a 1 hour aerobics class on Saturday but I did stop a few times and we did some floor work, so I just put 45 minutes into the calculator.