High calorie-exercise values?

Options
Does anyone else think that most of the exercise totals over-estimate the calories burned? I mean, I am NOT complaining, but I just don't think they are completely accurate and are giving me more padding than I should have.

Replies

• CaptObvious
    Options
    The totals given here match what the machines at the gym report, give or take 5 calories. On my strength training days, I go with the total here but, actually, I think the total underestimates for my workout.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's all an estimate. The best thing to do is invest in a Heart Rate Monitor so you can accurately track your calories burned during cardio training.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I go by what my treadmill says when I work out on that. It seems consistant and accurate considering the runs I do on it. I'm not sure about other exercises though. I do need to get one of the HRM's though.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The treadmill at the gym and what MFP gives me is usually REALLY close. But the elliptical is sooooo off. I think going by what the machine tells you is probably better since it takes into account how fast you were going, what incline, what level, etc.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    For me it was way over estimating, I bought a HR monitor, and I'm burning around 100 calories LESS than MFP says. If you are really watching your calories, its worth buying a heart rate monitor, (one with the chest strap) Or at least don't eat back all of your exercise calories.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

This website is pretty accurate from what others have posted. AFP calc. is off. Today I ran 4.4 mi. @ 6.0 mph(44 minutes) and cooled down walking 1.6 @ 3.5 mph. My T/M (w/ HRM) said 860 calories. I input 53 minutes @ 6.0 to get 865 calories burned on the AFP calculator.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

This website is pretty accurate from what others have posted. AFP calc. is off. Today I ran 4.4 mi. @ 6.0 mph(44 minutes) and cooled down walking 1.6 @ 3.5 mph. My T/M (w/ HRM) said 860 calories. I input 53 minutes @ 6.0 to get 865 calories burned on the AFP calculator.

Great workout!! I can only handle 6mph for a few minutes than I have to slow down and then work my way up again. I do this over and over again until I've burned around 400 cals. Can't wait until I can finally run at 6mph the whole time without practically tripping on my face.