ideas on the best HRM??

chelsiburnett
chelsiburnett Posts: 317
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
:smile: I really need to buy a HRM and I really don't have any idea which one I should be looking for or where to find a good quality of one!!! Any suggestions???

Replies

• pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    You know the group cycle instructors at my gym can get them for discounts. I would ask around at the gym. Also I stick to polar, just because most machines are programed for polar-so your HR will show up on the machine if you are wearing the chest band.
  • OK so get the polar brand and where do I get one of these at?
  • bsshaw1
    bsshaw1 Posts: 44 Member
    Hi,

After about two weeks of off and on research, I bought two Polar FT7's yesterday for my wife and I. I have have used mine for two days now, for walking and shooting baskets and I'm happy with it. My wife used hers for the first time today doing her Julian Michaels workout and she was impressed with it.

I'm not an authority on the FT7, but ask if you have any questions.

I bought mine at Best Buy for $109 and some change. Most big box sporting goods stores have them, and they all seem to be priced the same.

-Brad
  • I suggest the Polar as well. I have a F4 which is a little cheaper than the others suggested but it has a chest strap. Make sure to get an accurate amount of calories burned you buy one with the chest strap. You may find a good one on Amazon or a site like that. I dont know where you live but I bought mine at Sears.
  • :smile: I really need to buy a HRM and I really don't have any idea which one I should be looking for or where to find a good quality of one!!! Any suggestions???

Chelsi,

The best one for you would depend on what exactly you plan on using it for. For example...I have 3 different ones:

Polar RS400 - used for indoors at my gym (the machines read this signal) and I can swim with this one as it reads under water
    Polar RS800 - used outdoor for cycling with the GPS, Speed and Cadence sensors
    Garmin 405 - used outdoor for running

Now, trust me...no one (not even me) needs this many HRM (even though I am in the market for a Garmin 705 or 800 for cycling)!

Having used both Polar and Garmin, as far as Heart-Rate training, Polar wins hands down any day! As far as GPS...Garmin takes that one.

Software:
    - Polar has a fantastic ProTrainer software that comes with the RS400 and up but can also be used with the RS200 and other newer models -- you just have to pay extra for the software. Polar also has an online training site as well.
    - Garmin comes with a junky software to use on your computer but also has a free online site that is great!

If you are mainly exercising indoors and want to track your workouts and calorie burns...I would highly recommend Polar -- the RS200 (my wife has this one) works wonderfully for what she does with it (cannot program workouts like the RS400 and up)

If you are doing more outdoor training, I would go with Garmin.

Here is a fantastic resource for reading in-depth reviews:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html -- He has done extensive reviews on pretty much all Garmin devices however not many for Polar.

I hope this helps...let me know if you have any more questions!

Brian Bier
  • epeebes
    epeebes Posts: 89 Member
    Hi,

After about two weeks of off and on research, I bought two Polar FT7's yesterday for my wife and I. I have have used mine for two days now, for walking and shooting baskets and I'm happy with it. My wife used hers for the first time today doing her Julian Michaels workout and she was impressed with it.

I'm not an authority on the FT7, but ask if you have any questions.

I bought mine at Best Buy for $109 and some change. Most big box sporting goods stores have them, and they all seem to be priced the same.

-Brad

I also Recently Bought the Polar FT7. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

I got mine NEW on ebay for $82 including shipping.
  • I too have the Polar FT7. I've had it now for a couple of months and I love it. Accurate and a lot of good features.
  • Thank you all for the help!!! I will be saving up for the purchase!!! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.