HELP!!!

Options
Hey! does anyone have any good suggestions for making an delicious and healthy salad?? I ate a salad for dinner tonight with just romaine lettuce, chicken, bacon bits, and tomatoes but I had to force myself to keep eating it lol (Only my second day of dieting and I hate salads)....so please help me with some good, healthy salad recipes :-D

Replies

• jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    You can eat soooo much more than salads when on a "diet" but I like to take dried cherries with grilled chicken or shrimp, sliced carrots and some granola over a bed of baby spinach with a homemade dressing :)
  • 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try adding feta cheese, dried cranberries, greek olives, and balsalmic or raspberry vinaigrette.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    there are tons of ideas out there! I love a taco salad with warm ground turkey, some beans, salsa, tons of letuce and a tiny bit of cheese. If you just don't feel like salads are a meal try putting your salad in a whole wheat low fat (and maybe low carb) tortilla. Find things that add texture and taste and even if it's something less healthy you can still use a small portion (ie blue chesse). look for healthy dressings but remember sometimes it is ok to have an extra gram of fat for that lower sodium. if you feel deprived this won't work so try cutting from things you already eat and love (that's where my healthy taco salad came from- no tortilla or crust but still the flavors i love). if you want a burger leave off the cheese and eat only the bottom part of the bun instead of both the bottom and top. get lean cheese and portion control- etc. cut from what you eat and love. do not upset your whole world. because it won't last
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What dont you like, maybe from there we can offer some alternatives. Also, what do you like beans, certain veggies, type of dressing. Good thing about salad there are no limitations just learn to make healthier choices.
  • BrookeReneshelle
    Options
    I love to use dressings, and as long as you chose a nice, light low calorie dressing, and follow the serving size, you should be good!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Think salad bar... Raw broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, slivers of carrots, cucumbers, green and red peppers... Things with unique flavors and textures. Find a delicious dressing you love, even if it's not lite or low fat, and instead of pouring it over your salad, have it on the side and dip your fork in it before stabbing your food. You'll get the yum without drowning in it.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Mixture of lettuce, sliced green grapes, sliced strawberries, and sprinkling of a healthy fruit vinaigrette.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Great ideas already posted. Here are some other ideas, just top with a low call dressing or vinegar: 1) swap lettuce for raw spinach, toss in a couple craisins, and walnuts 2) romaine, mandarin orange wedges, cucumber, sunflower seeds 3) top with grilled chicken, the white portion of a hard boiled egg, edamame, green onions, and avocado (it's a take on a cobb) 4) chunk up apples, half grapes and sprinkle on top, pecans 5) grilled pineapple, grilled red pepper, and grilled onion (one of my faves).

I'm hungry now. LOL
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful tips!!!! It was definately useful!!