What nutrients do you track?

Options
I know it depends on what your own personal goals and health needs are, but what nutrients are you guys monitoring in your food log? I track: calories, fat, carbs, protein, fiber, calcium. I was debating changing one to sodium? Overall i do pretty well for staying in the limits for all of them. I try not to eat a lot of processed foods and rarely add salt to anything.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    track the ones you want to and if you want to check your sodium on occasion change one, flip to journal see where your sodium is and change it back, just to see that you're where you want to be.

I track my fiber and polyuns fat besides the 3 biggies
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Calories, Fat, Sodium, Potassium :)

I think I'll add Fiber....I need to start working on that. :)
  • tatwood106
    Options
    Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein, Sodium, Cholesterol. I need to limit my cholesterol and sodium, the iPhone/iPod app can show you all fields for those who have one.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    fat, carbs, protein, iron, and sodium.
    As a vegan who loves salty foods I figured they were the most important!
  • jmbender4
    Options
    Fiber and sat fat are the big ones for me. I am interested in vitamins and minerals tracked by Mfp too.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In addition to the carbs, fat and protein, I monitor my sodium and sugar. Sugar hasn't really been an issue for me so mostly I check out the sodium. Sodium highs and lows seem to correspond to my weight fluctuations (duh). So if I'm having a high sodium day, I can't be surprised to see the scale stay the same or go up.

~S
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I monitor calcium and vitamin D and try to make sure I get my RDAs by supplement if not be food, in addition to taking a daily multi-vitamin for B vitamins and folate, vitamins A,C,E,D,K and I also make sure I get enough protein and fiber. I never seem to need to worry about getting enough calories once those things are met and if I'm hungry, i eat plain veggies. Also, hydration. I have a hard time drinking enough water in a day, i just don't like it. I don't eat much dairy on a regular basis and hardly any red meat so I'm not too worried about my saturated fat levels. I guess I can be a little high in mercury or sodium because i do eat processed foods, but I'll cross the high-cholesterol and high blood pressure bridges when I get to 'em and just try to be active in the meantime. My goal right now is to lose weight so I can take some of the stress off my bad joints, and get my body ready for pregnancy in the next few years (yes, I'm a planner after taking OB).
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I track protein, carbs and fat, calories and then I mix it up between sugar, fiber and sodium since I can only track 5.

I know I get my daily values in everything else I'd want to track because I take supplements.
  • olson_s
    olson_s Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    YIKES! I am going over on my sugar almost daily- i just checked sodium and sugar. Maybe i should replace something i do ok with normally and watch the sugar intake?? Any suggestions?