HRM ?

Options
Laine
Laine Posts: 82 Member
Hey all! I finally bought a HRM yesterday but when I got it home it has a chest strap you have to wear with the watch. What do you all have and is the chest strap pretty standard? I don't love the idea of wearing one to get sweaty, won't it get uncomfortable? Thought I'd check before I set it up--maybe i'll exchange it. THanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Laine
    Options
    Hey all! I finally bought a HRM yesterday but when I got it home it has a chest strap you have to wear with the watch. What do you all have and is the chest strap pretty standard? I don't love the idea of wearing one to get sweaty, won't it get uncomfortable? Thought I'd check before I set it up--maybe i'll exchange it. THanks!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You get used to the chest strap pretty quickly. The monitors without the strap don't take your heart rate constantly (you have to stop exercising to take your heart rate) and therefore their calorie counts aren't as accurate.

I forget I'm wearing mine sometimes. (I actually find the "watch" part more irritating when I'm super sweaty). . .
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Viv. you will get used to the strap, I dont have breasts but i am pretty big around and mines at its limit but its not to bad. i also think its worth it to get a better measurement of your HR.

give it a try i think you will like the benifits over any discomfort.
  • Laine
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm excited to use it!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I bought one that can be used either with the strap or without because I was afraid 1) the strap wouldn't fit me and 2) I'd hate wearing it.

I found both to be untrue--it fits fine and I forget it's there. Also, I, too, find the watch part to be much more annoying!--particularly since I never wear a watch normally. I am experimenting with putting it on my handlebars instead.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I know you can put it on your handlebars because mine came with a bicycle mount. I agree with everyone else that the chest strap is fine. The only time it bothered me was when I wore it all day to see how many calories I burn in a day. When I just use it to work out it's fine.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I don't strap the chest strap all around - just the front part (the monitor part) fits into the half tops (like a bra top that you wear alone) that I wear when I workout (most Reebok and Nike tops have the holes already there). That might be worth a try!
    :flowerforyou:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i too tuck the strap up under my bra, and hardly notice it, as it takes on the exact same feeling as the bra its self. Tho i have to say i hadnt thought of 'unhooking' it and just leaving it in the bra! it sounds like a good way to get a reading without having the double strap going around!

looove my hrm btw...never work out without it anymore..so i can hold myself truly accountable!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    i too tuck the strap up under my bra, and hardly notice it, as it takes on the exact same feeling as the bra its self. Tho i have to say i hadnt thought of 'unhooking' it and just leaving it in the bra! it sounds like a good way to get a reading without having the double strap going around!

looove my hrm btw...never work out without it anymore..so i can hold myself truly accountable!

Oh Sparkles... give it a try! That da-- strap was driving me nuts! I just unhooked the strap and wear the "plastic piece thing" in the bra. Love it. :tongue:

Hey - do you were it during Yoga? I never have and wonder what the result would be! My fear would be the warning beeps going off in class! :blushing:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hey I was thinking of getting one as a motivation device for me but how big around is the strap? I don't remember reading anything about how big it is? What kind did you all get and was it enough? I mean they have like four different prices for the gadgets depending on what you want on them? Do they only read in kilicals or does it give you actual calories? I thought you guys who have them would be a good source of info. Better than reading about it. My husband is being great about it and says get what I want because he likes the results of what I've done so far. Hehe maybe I can get him hooked on one and get him to work out more lol.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i have the high gear pulse wear duo i think it is called. The strap is adjustable, but im not sure what its maximum circumference is. It is so worth getting on! Mine counts in kcals, but as far as i know, 1kcal= 1 calorie) I sure hope im right there, bc if not im screwing myself! Does anyone else know more about kcals?

ps AJ, i havent worn it during yoga, tho mine has an option to turn the beeps off, so i shall do that next time!!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Her Royal Majesty??? I mean, what's she got to do with weight loss???:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hey I was thinking of getting one as a motivation device for me but how big around is the strap? I don't remember reading anything about how big it is? What kind did you all get and was it enough? I mean they have like four different prices for the gadgets depending on what you want on them? Do they only read in kilicals or does it give you actual calories? I thought you guys who have them would be a good source of info. Better than reading about it. My husband is being great about it and says get what I want because he likes the results of what I've done so far. Hehe maybe I can get him hooked on one and get him to work out more lol.

I was worried it wouldn't be big enough but the strap is very long and elastic. I would be surprised if the size was an issue.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    On my Polar F6 the strap comes in two parts- the electrical device that reads your heart rate and the adjustable strap that comes with it. The adjustable strap can be as long as you need it to be and is made out of a soft fabric that doesn't rub into your skin or anything.

It took me only a few minutes to get adjusted to it. You'll forget that you're wearing it.