running + asthma=Success?

Options
So, I'm doing the couch to 5k challenge. Did the first day and it says not to end out of breath or gasping or I've overdone. I wasn't necessarily gasping, but I'm pretty winded by the time I finished doing what they suggest for the first day. My question is whether I need to do anything special to be sure not to start an asthma attack. I tried running a few weeks ago and it took hours for my lungs to calm back down. I do take my inhaler before going out, but I'm wondering if any others have found tips or tricks that work with asthma as you start running again. I used to love running but I allowed my asthma to become an excuse to not push through. I want to know how to safely push myself physically and mentally without causing issues.

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I have asthma. I have learned to control it by taking large deep breaths and holding for 3 seconds and slowly releasing them. That usually calms me to the point of no asthma attack. I do hard Muay Thai kick-boxing. I havent had an attack in years. I feel them coming and I use that technique.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma and run. I take my albuterol inhaler but only use it if I must. The colder the air, the worse it is. I have noticed that if I use the C25k program that gradually works you up to running more and more, then it helps my lungs to adjust with me and not get overwhelmed so much. Which is great because I don't have much lung capacity at all. When the doctor gave me a lung force test it was an epic fail! He even asked was I smoking. I never smoked in my life!
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I wasn't diagnosed with asthma until about a year ago, so I am by no means an expert. I do know, however, that I did my first ever 5K last spring. It was tough, but I had been preparing for it, but it was a spring day and the pollen and other stuff in the air made it tough. I would say that if you are winded, but not in distress that it is part of getting your lungs and body into shape. I did not do couch to 5K, but I practiced at a track and did walking and jogging until I could actually jog the distance. I added jogging laps in 1/2 lap increments. Somedays were better than others, breathing-wise, and I didn't do my running every day, just 2-3 days per week. I also do a lot of aerobic/cardio on my elliptical strider, so my workout breathing was already on the build. Did you check with your doctor about starting the running again? It wouldn't be my first choice, as i love being outside to jog, but maybe starting indoors would help too, depending on what triggers your attacks.
    Hope that helps!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to control my asthma. I seem to do better in the warmer months but when it gets cold and my HR incereases, I get into a real trouble. The only thing that seems to help is my preventer inhaler. I think it is quite possible to control it adequately, I just think it is more difficult for some. It also depends on the severity of your symptoms. I have always suffered severe chronic asthma which only subsided when I moved to a higher altitude.

Train slowly. No hard in extending the training program out a little. If you can only run in 30 second bursts initially then do that. It's not the easiest to live with. Good luck.
  • JGCowboy
    Options
    My doctor recently got me on Symbicort which has done wonders...previously I'd be wheezing two minutes into a jog and have to use my albuterol (rescue inhaler). After using the Symbicort, I haven't used my rescue inhaler much at all and I was needing it several times a day. I typically go into a panic attack if I forget it and would even leave work to come back home for it, but after the Symbicort, I forgot my albuterol inhaler when going to the gym a few times and realized that I didn't even need it.....okay it's late and I'm not making any sense....good night all!