Preventing boredom

Oddelly
Oddelly Posts: 29
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone else have a problem with getting bored at the gym? I find I do especially on the cycling machine. I don’t own a fancy i-gadget to watch stuff on, and I guess I’ve always held that exercise should be you and the music, pushing yourself further/faster etc. and boredom is a sign you’re doing it wrong, but lately defiantly have felt my mind wander somewhat...Is anyone else the same/have some tips?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Anything can get boring if you do the same thing enough times. Try to vary up your routine and the different machines/exercises you're doing. It's a better workout (if you do too much of the same thing, your body adjusts to it and you don't get as much benefit), and it should keep it fresh.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Have you tried any of the classes (if your gym offers them)?
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    I used to always work out behind an old man who'd sit on the recumbent bike reading a book for a couple hours. I would see if I could read with him while I was on my elliptical or whatever it was :smile: It can get boring. I agree - try to vary your workouts, and try to get into classes. And if your gym doesn't offer classes, go to the Zumba website - there are tons of free Zumba classes at churches!
  • Oddelly
    Oddelly Posts: 29
    Yeah, I take classes and prefer them (pride means I work alot harder!), sadly they have been on a break over the holidays and not back till the 10th. I too recomend them for anyone, whether they get bored at the gym or not.

I've always been impressed with those who read in the gym, the two activities are so conceptually different in my mind, and I know I would just get too involved in what I was reading to remember what I was there for...
This discussion has been closed.