Conflicting advice and now confused as ever.

Options
2»

Replies

• smilestb99
    Options
    This is the best way I can explain the proportions and it's how my naturopathic doctor told me to measure- You need about a handfull (with hand stretched out) of carbs, a palm full of protein, and a thumb full of healthy fat. Now, your trainer may alter yours a bit depending on the workouts you're doing as far as portion sizes, calories, etc.

Is that like a homeopath?

Here's kind of a short difference.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_naturopathy_and_homeopathy

Also, my doctor used to be an ER doctor, but she realized one day she wasn't where she was meant to be, and went on to do 30 years of studies. I learned as much from her as I can, however now she is busy writing books and doing seminars, so she only practices a couple times a week. She is a very smart woman. (Her name is Margaret Merrifield M.D. from Richland, WA if you want to look her up). It took me 8 years to get diagnosed correctly with gluten intolerance and dairy sensitivity. Other physicians had me on several presrciptions for so many things. I now take 0 prescriptions and no longer have the several medical issues I had been dealing with. Now all the problems I have deal directly with my weight...and that is what I am working on! :smile:
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It can be really confusing but I need to ask, is your trainer a registered dietitian, nutritionist, or physician? I would be very wary of any professional in the training business who tells you that you should not have more than 10% fat. What are her credentials?

For the record, the American Heart Association recommends that between 25 and 35 percent of the day's total calories come from fat. There are a lot of good nutrition books out there written by qualified professionals. I'd seriously suggest hitting the bookstore or library. I have found the Complete Idiots Guide to Total Nutrition by Joy Bauer really helpful. It was recommended by my doctor. Good luck!

Yes be VERY careful to check just what education they have. Did they do a full diploma program or the 5hrs of on the job training that ended with a 20 question open book multiple choice test.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The advice you've been given mostly strikes me as odd because it's near impossible to achieve 40% protein while keeping to 10% fat. Basically, as long as you are burning more calories than you are taking in then you will lose fat (and of course, maybe some muscle as well). For health, generally recommendations are 15-20% protein, 30% fat and 50-55% carbs. 30/30/40 is a bit of a hazy area in that some professionals suggest it is a happy medium between low carb and standard recommendations but there are still those who argue the downside of having the extra protein, which is more evidence-based I suppose.

I personally think 15-20/30/50-55 and 30/30/40 are both good. I wouldn't generally recommend aiming for higher protein that that.
  • diana36
    Options
    Go with the personal trainer advice the trainer does a complete workup just tailored for you there are things we have to take in account our bone structure, age,activities,metabolism. In order to keep the weight we've gained the plan has to be doable so we keep the weight off I remember when I was in my late teen and early 20's I was 130. I understand my age play a factor my bones and metabolism,height I actually shrink an inch is not the same so I don't mind 140 to 150 even 160 those weight would be healthy for me,and attainable.Hang in there and your trainer knows what's best for you , It sounds like you have a good trainer.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    According to Jillian Michaels you should do 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% for fat, and be around 1200-1500 cal/day. MFP says 1240 net cals for me.
    I want to be 135lbs but my trainer says both Jillian and MFP aren't correct. My trainer feels that I should be at 50%carbs 40% protein and 10% fat because I am wanting to burn fat so why intake 30%. She also feels that I should be around 1400-1500 cal/day and insists that I will never be 135lbs.
    Reason for why I won't be 135lbs is because my lean muscle mass is already at 125lbs and you should have at least 20% body fat.. so being 135lbs is virtually impossible. So now I have confused myself and would like to know which do I follow?

I'm sure you're even more confused now because of all the different responses you got. :laugh: Here's adding to the confusion!

40/30/30 is fine. 50/40/10 is fine too. I personally go for around 40/40/20... at the end of the day, unless you have carb/insulin issues and/or have specific athletic goals that require more or less carbs during training it's not going to make a significant difference.

However, I'd be more than a little wary of listening to your trainer for nutrition advice because he/she suggested that the fat you eat has some kind of influence on your fat loss/gain. It doesn't.
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can change your percentages under your personal setting in MFP if you decide to not stick to what the default put in. Having said that, I wouldn't lower the fat percentage to what the trainer told you.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    According to Jillian Michaels you should do 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% for fat, and be around 1200-1500 cal/day. MFP says 1240 net cals for me.
    I want to be 135lbs but my trainer says both Jillian and MFP aren't correct. My trainer feels that I should be at 50%carbs 40% protein and 10% fat because I am wanting to burn fat so why intake 30%. She also feels that I should be around 1400-1500 cal/day and insists that I will never be 135lbs.
    Reason for why I won't be 135lbs is because my lean muscle mass is already at 125lbs and you should have at least 20% body fat.. so being 135lbs is virtually impossible. So now I have confused myself and would like to know which do I follow?

I'm sure you're even more confused now because of all the different responses you got. :laugh: Here's adding to the confusion!

40/30/30 is fine. 50/40/10 is fine too. I personally go for around 40/40/20... at the end of the day, unless you have carb/insulin issues and/or have specific athletic goals that require more or less carbs during training it's not going to make a significant difference.

However, I'd be more than a little wary of listening to your trainer for nutrition advice because he/she suggested that the fat you eat has some kind of influence on your fat loss/gain. It doesn't.

I would ammend that statement only in this: Your trainer has the wrong idea about fat percentage. He/she has the relationship backwards. 10% fat isn't going to get you to lose weight as fast as 30% fat will. That said, the fat you take in must not have any trans fat to attain the most success. That low of a percentage is hard to achieve anyway. Look at other people's diary when you can to get an idea. My experience is that no matter how clean or poorly I ate, if I wasn't doing enough cardio I only maintained or put it on slowly. When I do more than 30 minutes fasted cardio EVERY DAY, I lose at least two pounds a week. This week I lost three after just maintaining for a couple months nursing a tendonopathy so I couldn't do as much running as I would have liked. Now that I'm back at it, I'll be dropping steadily every week. Eating the percentages is important only to a point. Once you plateau, you have to kick it up a notch.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Talk about confusing. Jesus... This thread has my head spinning.
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    I have found that not one trainer or website agrees on what's right for weight lose, maintaining current weight, building muscle, etc. Everyone is different; do one suggestion for a month and if you don't see any results, switch to another....find which works for YOU. Good luck! :smile: