weird question

conorsmommy
conorsmommy Posts: 3
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
ok, I work in a nursing home, and am on my feet walking quite a bit during my 8 hour shift. I'm thinking I should be counting that walking as some of my exercise for the day, but am unsure how to. It's not straight walking, no stopping, but I do go quite a good pace when I do. Counting how many times I go up and down the hall is about all I can figure to do, but seems like a lot to try and figure. How would you figure out how many minutes and such, since obviously I'm not walking the whole 8 hour shift either, but probably at least half of it if you put it all together. Any ideas appreciated.

Replies

• superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    maybe set your calorie goals to lightly active or active....that should up your calories to compensate for the extra burn you get from your job.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    I'd just set your profile info towards active rather than sedentary (if you didn't already), as a job like that where you're walking much of your shift, you've adapted to deal with that anyway, it's hard to count it as a specific exercise amount as it varies from day to day and even throughout your shift.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Like others have said, set your activity level in your profile to "active". MFP will then calculate a calorie target for you based off of this activity level. This will take into account the calories you burn at work, to give you a higher target.
  • Get a pedometer and see how many steps and or how many miles you walk during a shift. If you want to be as accurate as possible, take readings for a week and then do an average. Of course, if you listed being active on your feet in your profile, then you shouldn't count that time as exercise. It depends on how you entered you information in settings, under your fitness profile. Hope this helps/
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    I think that activity is accounted for when you first sign in and describe your daily activities, if it is something you do most everyday then it is basically your normal routine and most people say don't log normal daily activities. I had a friend that had no car and walked everywhere she went but she kept gaining weight. Her body was just used to the walking, I think you should only log the extra exercises you do.
This discussion has been closed.