Curb your appetite

Options
This is the easiest "most common sense" thing you can do to kill your carvings so...

Just throw out all those snacks, candies, donuts and other bad foods that's making you gain weight and even if you still have strong cravings for those bad foods...

The next 20+ tips below will definitely help curb your cravings & put you on the track to permanent weight loss if you stick to them...

2. Eat more fiber (Raw Fruits & Veggies)
Fiber keeps you fuller longer and kills all your sugar cravings. Get fiber by eating fruits (especially apples) & vegetables, whole grains, nuts (almonds are the best) and seeds.

Eating Fiber will help you lose weight faster because it fills up your stomach quicker making you eat less.

3. Make sure at least 30% of your diet is protein

Like fiber, Protein also makes you feel full and keeps you satisfied longer so you'll eat less and lose more weight and...

Including protein in your diet will quickly get rid of your sugar cravings since most sugar cravings come from not eating enough protein and in a recent study...

People who drank either whey protein 90 minutes before being allowed to eat freely at a buffet table ate significantly less calories than those who did not drink whey protein.

4. Drink more WATER
When you get dehydrated you will get very hungry because your body will increase your hunger pangs in an attempt to get more water to re-hydrate itself so make sure you're drinking enough water to prevent hunger and...

You can also drink about 8+ ounces of water before your meals to make you feel fuller quicker so you'll eat less or...

5. You can drink a glass of vegetable juice before meals
Studies have shown that drinking vegetable juice before meals suppresses your appetite by making you eat 135 less calories at each meal.

6. Eat some fiber & protein and drink some water at ever meal to...
Regulate your blood sugar because when your blood sugar is out of whack you'll crave for more food which means you'll eat a lot more and gain more weight.

For example... If you eat some almonds & some fruit for fiber and then eat a lean meat like tuna or baked chicken for protein and if you wash all that down with 12 ounces of water... You'll won't have any food cravings for at least 3-to-5 hours and...

Drinking at least 8 ounces of water with high fiber foods helps the undigested fiber in your stomach expand to make you feel fuller much longer.

7. Eat a small meal every 2-to-3 hours
Doing this also regulates your blood sugar by giving you a constant supply of energy which really reduces your cravings and kills your big appetite.

8. Don't skip breakfast
Skipping breakfast makes your already low morning blood sugar drop even more and this will cause you to have massive food cravings for the rest of the day.

9. Drink Green Tea Instead of Coffee

Green tea is a potent appetite suppressant and it's also an all-natural fat burner that helps you burn up to 43% more fat.

10. Have an egg for breakfast
Studies found that an egg for breakfast helped overweight people feel more full over 24 hours than a bagel-based breakfast of equal calories and the people who ate the egg breakfast ate 330 calories less during the day and after an 8-week study...

The people who had eggs for breakfast instead of bagels lost 65% more weight and they lost 16% more fat and don't worry about your cholesterol levels going up because even though the people in that 8 week study had 2 eggs for breakfast everyday...

Their cholesterol levels were the same as the group that ate bagels after 8 weeks and eating eggs will only raise your HDL cholesterol levels which is the good cholesterol.

11. Lose Belly Fat & have Less Cravings

According to researchers at University if Western Ontario - Belly fat makes you hungry because it makes a hormone called neuropeptide Y that makes you hungry.

12. Don't get stressed out - relax more.
When you get stressed out you usually overeat because your body releases a hormone called Cortisol that makes you hungry and...

If you have a hard time coping with stress Look at these 25 ways to relieve stress.

13. Battle PMS cravings with Calcium

Research has shown that women who take calcium supplements or consume at least 1 serving of dairy products daily (like yogurt, skim milk, or low-fat cheese) about 2 weeks before menstruation will significantly lower their cravings during PMS for bad carbs that make them gain weight.

14. Avoid refined or processed carbs (mainly sugar)
Refined carbs include heavily processed or high sugar foods like fluffy white breads/bread snacks, regular sodas, most breakfast cereal, sweets, candy, cookies and cakes.

Refined carbs cause your blood sugar levels to rise very fast and then crash very quickly making you crave for more sugar (refined carbs).

Doing numbers 1-to-4 & especially #5 will help reduce your cravings for refined carbs or sugar.

15. Limit your salt intake
Salt also makes your cravings worse and too much salt also causes you to gain unwanted water weight - See how to lose water weight for more info but try to use herbs & spices instead of salt.

16. Take a whiff of Vanilla scent to curb cravings
The sweet smell of vanilla tricks you into thinking you already satisfied your cravings for sugars.

17. Eat on blue plates
It may sound weird but the research does show that blue is a natural appetite suppressant so try to use blue silverware, napkins, etc. whenever you eat and on the flip side...

Red, yellow, and orange have been shown to increase your appetite and make you eat more.

18. Make sure you're getting enough sleep
Not getting enough Sleep makes your body release an appetite causing hormone called Ghrelin that makes you want to eat more so...

Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep so you can lower your Ghrelin levels and increase the levels of the fat burning & appetite suppressing hormone Leptin.

19. Wait out your cravings
Most cravings pass within 20 minutes because they're usually all in your head so you can survive these "fake cravings" by taking your mind off your cravings doing other things such as checking your email, looking at TV or hanging out with friends and...

To tell the difference between a real hunger or just an emotional craving... If your hunger has increased after 20 minutes then you're seriously hungry and even an apple will look delicious!

20. Use spices instead of sugar

Use spices like cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg for flavor which will help you lose weight instead of sugar that makes you FAT (see #9 here for how spices help you lose weight)

21. Use Tastants

Tastants are calorie free crystals you add to foods to intensify the foods natural scent and once you smell the foods intensified scent...

This will cause your brain to release a hormone called leptin which makes you feel full while also at the same time - your body will slow down the release of the ghrelin hormone which makes you hungry and... You can go here to get Tastants from Sensa

22. Exercise to eat less

Exercising helps your appetite suppressing hormone Leptin work better and Leptin basically tells you that you're full and you need to stop eating and According to a study in the Journal of Sports Science & Medicine...

People who did 30 minutes of weight loss workouts and body sculpting exercises ate 500+ fewer calories a day and to lose 1 pound of FAT every week or 50 pounds a year - you just have to eat 500 fewer calories a day.

Exercise also decreases the hormone that increase appetite (ghrelin) and the more intense your exercise is = the more your appetite will be decreased.

23. Take Vitamin B-3

Taking Vitamin B-3 will help lower your sugar cravings and it will also help suppress your alcohol cravings as well.

24. Look at the craving secrets guide here

Let cravings coach Diana Walker show you how to end all your cravings for beer, artificial sweeteners, coffee, cookies, cakes, pies, donuts fried foods, fast foods & soda (diet & regular) and other bad foods that prevent you from losing weight

25. Have a cheat day or a cheat meal

If your cravings get overwhelming powerful then...

It's okay to cheat every once in a while and as a mater of fact... Go here to see how you can cheat on your diet & still lose weight

26. Use hot sauce

Eating anything that contains capsaicin like chili peppers or hot sauce will reduce your appetite because according to the European Journal of Nutrition... Capsaicin both lowers the hunger inducing hormone ghrelin while increasing the appetite suppressing hormone GLP-1.

27. Take a 15 minute walk

U.K. researchers found that you can reduce your cravings for chocolate by 12 percent simply by taking a short 15 minute walk.

28. Avoid Sweeteners

Sweeteners like all these other bad foods here increase your insulin levels which will increase your cravings so avoid diet sodas, artificial Sweeteners like sweet n low and even honey but if you must use a sweetener...

Use Truvia since it does not cause extreme increases in your insulin levels.

29. Eat after you workout

If working out increases your appetite then you can quickly & easily get rid of those cravings by eating within 1-to-2 hours of finishing your workout so...

If you're eating 3,4 or 5 meals a day to lose weight and if working out increases your appetite then you want to make sure you schedule your meal times to come sometime shortly after you've finished working out and...

Look at tip #6 above for an idea of what to eat after you workout to keep you satisfied longer.

30. Eat some dark chocolate

Eating 2 small pieces of dark chocolate will help lower your cravings more than eating milk chocolate according to research from the University of Copenhagen.

The bitter taste of dark chocolate signals the body to decrease your appetite and the steric acid content in dark chocolate helps slow digestion (like fiber does) to help you feel fuller longer.

Just make sure that the chocolate you eat is made up of at least 70% cocoa.

31. Eat Potatoes

Potatoes contain a special type of starch that resist digestive enzymes making them stay in your body longer causing you not to get hungry for long periods of time but...

This does not mean you can eat the processed potatoes like french fries or potato chips that are loaded with unhealthy fats, salts and sugars.

32. Include fats in your diet

The good fats found in olive oil, nuts, avocados and peanut butter decreases your appetite according to a study done in the Journal of Cell Metabolism because during digestion...

These good fats are converted into a compound that tells your brain to kill your hunger pangs.

33. Try TOFU

Tofu contains an ingredient called Genistein that helps you reduce your appetite.

Replies

• Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's all great info! :) I didn't know about the blue plates! As a design student, I did know that orange, and yellow are associated with food but other than using it for designing kitchenware and cookbook covers, I never drew the connection to overeating! :) Thanks! :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that, it is really informative :)
  • Jaypea15
    Jaypea15 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Youre welcome, anything to help. Its a good article eh! :)
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    thanks fr that info think i might be investing in a blue plate sometime soon lol
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    thanks fr that info think i might be investing in a blue plate sometime soon lol
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Since I love blue all my plates in all forms are blue, and have been for the past 12 years. Haven't helped me a bit, that's for sure ;)
  • Cosiehosie
    Cosiehosie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lots of useful info there, thanks :smile:
  • Jaypea15
    Options
    The foods you must STOP EATING RIGHT NOW when trying to lose weight are...
    You need to stop drinking regular & diet sodas. Quick fact: If you replaced a 20oz bottle of soda with water daily... You would easily lose up to 35 pounds in one year so if you're addicted to soda - go here to see how to stop drinking soda and...
    Replace coffee with a natural fat burner like Green Tea because coffee increases stress & stress leads to fat gain and... Coffee increases your cravings making you eat more causing you to gain fat but...
    You can drink the natural Green Tea fat burner, lose more weight, and still get your caffeine fix for the day and...
    Cut down on or try to stop drinking alcohol. Quick fact: Alcohol is basically the refined juice of natural foods which makes it a drink of pure concentrated sugar that will make you gain fat easily and...
    AVOID the grocery store snack aisle - Stop eating potato chips, popcorn, cookies, candy, ice cream, cakes, etc. The ingredients in these foods make you want to eat more and the companies who make these snack foods know you'll stay addicted to them (even after you gained lots of weight eating their snacks) but...

The companies don't care if you gain weight because of their snack products as long as they make their money off YOU and if you're addicted to snacks - Read 30+ ways to curb your cravings for snacks, salt & sugar
    You need to make a strong effort to cut down on your salt & sugar intake because too much salt & sugar causes you to gain water weight making you look fatter than you already are and...
    Avoid processed foods as much as possible because the processing of these foods removes all the stuff that helps you lose weight and replaces it with stuff like sugar, corn syrup and hydrogenated oils to make you fatter so...
    Read food labels and avoid anything that has sugar as it's main source of carbs or has corn syrup & hydrogenated oils as ingredients and...
    Don't be fooled by the term "Multigrain" since it's just a fancy word for processed carbs and choose "Whole Grain" products only and...
    Here's a bigger list of Foods NOT to eat when trying to lose weight...
    Fried foods
    Hamburgers & French fries
    Table sugar
    Plain Jam
    salted nuts
    smoked nuts
    refried beans
    Baked Beans
    Chocolate Fudge
    Candy
    Toffee
    Gums
    Boiled sweets
    Mint Sweets
    Liquorice
    Honey - Honey has minimal nutritional value & has the same calorie content as sugar.
    Soft drinks
    Tinned fruits
    Chutney
    Pickle
    bacon
    sausage
    cured meats
    ham
    fatty cuts of steak like T-bone & rib-eye
    Puddings
    Corn syrup
    Fruit juice - It's better to eat raw fruit instead of fruit juice because fruits contain more fiber and the juice will always contain more sugar than the actual fruit.
    Cake
    Bread made with white flour
    Soda pop, such as Coke®, Pepsi®, Mountain Dew®, etc.
    All baked goods made with white flour
    Coffee
    Biscuits
    Fast foods
    Pasta made with white flour
    Canned fruits w/added sugar
    Most packaged cereals
    Alcohol
    Potato chips
    Popcorn
    Cookies
    Ice cream
    Cakes
    Pies
    All deserts
    Artificial sweeteners
  • hepi_dva
    Options
    Hello dear,

Many thanks for sharing these tips with us :)

Let me introduce myself. I'm Liz and I'm new here :) Honestly, I feel alot more motivated after reading your posting. I really hope to lose weight from 80kg to 60kg. Losing 1 kg can prove to be quite challenging. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I would be able to stick to my goals :)

Cheers~!!
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all that info. There's some really great ideas in there :smile:
  • Jaypea15
    Options
    Taken from the internet, not my work lol.... I think that a little of all of these is not bad for you as long as they are counted in with the calorie counter!
    I also think that if you eliminate all of that from your diet you will be more likely to crash and burn quicker!

Also the blue plate thing is probably a boffin thinking that this works.lol :flowerforyou:
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    VERY good info! Thanks!!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    My kitchen is decorated in reds, yellows and oranges. Ugh, no wonder why I'm fat! :oP

Great article, thanks for sharing!
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good information
    thanks for posting!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post! Last night I got off of work and was sooo hungry that I did break down and got that burger king combo meal! I have been very very good and have not had a cheat day in a while, it was good, but my body has been on the health kick lately and the food isn't agreeing with my digestion process! It gave me a stomach ache all night and had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and all I can say is it wasn't the best BM... So now, after that disgrace, I'm DONE with that place and fast food restaurants all together! I worked too hard this week to sabatage myself now! So this post is absolutly helpful!!! Green tea! ::slaps forehead:: of course! I will use that instead of coffee, my biggest threat!
  • PPFEIFER2
    PPFEIFER2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is a huge help what a great list I will send this to my husband also...... yipeeeee
  • PPFEIFER2
    PPFEIFER2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To funny mine is to, we better switch to blue......:smile:
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips :drinker:
  • arbtigger
    arbtigger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    WOW a LOT of info, but really great! Thanks for posting!!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks for posting!