working out with a cough?

Options
Hi there,
I'm keen to get back to doing some cardio but I've had a stupid cough for about two weeks now, and it STILL isn't showing any signs of going away! Do you think I can still do a bit of light exercise or is it best to just wait until it goes completely? Sometimes I'm just sitting in my chair and then I start a coughing and spluttering fit which lasts at least a minute.
Thanks!
x

Replies

• safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think its just a peronal choice......i would exercise...but im a glutton for punishment...i always feel better when im moving..seem to heal faster as well.
  • AmericanNewfie
    Options
    I agree and disagree with Scott. You need to get yourself moving. When a post-surgery patient comes onto my wifes floor to recuperate, they get them up and walking ASAP.The more your blood flows, the faster you will heal, provided you are eating right, taking the appropriate meds and taking your vitamins. BUT, moving doesn't mean going and pushing yourself. Whatever you do for cardio, scale it back 25% or so and keep it light. This will get your blood flowing and get things moving overall. Do this till you feel better before you start pushing yourself to see improvement.
    Also, getting back to vitamins, for your multi, don't use the cheap store bought junk like Theragram-M. Go to your health food store and get a good vitamin that insures you are getting at least 90% of the pill dissolved in your system. The cheap 'mainstream' brands only dissolve about 15% in your body so they are useless.
    Good luck!
  • safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep....what he says......8)
  • PPFEIFER2
    PPFEIFER2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We have all had this crazy cough for like months so mu exercise has been for crap also, I hope to soon get motivated to go back and do some. I have been going well for the week with this program so let's all keep up the good work.
  • copper33
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    Well, I went and did some! 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer (pyramid course, level 5 resistence), 15 minutes light weights, 10 minutes walking on the treadmill, 5 minutes stretch and cool down.
    Calories burnt - 250.
    I did start coughing a few times when I was on the elliptical trainer and got some funny looks (it does still sound quite bad when I start). But I know I'm not infectious anymore so didn't feel guilty that I was going to pass it on to anyone else!
    I feel much much better for having done it. Exercise has always been a fragile habit for me and I was panicking about leaving it too long before getting back to my routine.
    x